Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: What shoud I do?
Let the gun cool off and try again.
80.00%
Send the gun to a gunsmith for a better look.
10.00%
Sell it and get a new rifle.
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

New Rifle Shooter Accuracy Help

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
It could be anything from you flinching to the ammo used...Have you got a buddy that's experiened with guns???

That's what my buddy's do when they have trouble...

They bring it to me...
Even though this is a little cliche, I am a bit of a lone wolf when it comes to shooting. My other friends who have guns have too many kids to do anything and are not too knowledgeable as far as guns go.

I am 2 hours east of San Diego if anyone, by chance, lives nearby
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Spike

To answer a few of the questions,

I am using 100 gr Winchester Super X rounds.

I used whatever solvent/oil combo that came with the kit - likely cheap crap.

The bases and rings are tight. I bought Burris rings and I will never do that again. Alignment o the front ring was a real pain. I also used blue locktite on them.

I had good squeezes on the trigger. The trigger is set lighter than any gun I have ever shot, but that is not saying much maybe.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Sending to a gunsmith is a good start. You are starting with a clean slate. He may be able to bore sight it for you. If it is way off, he will find out.

Do not start a sight in from 100 yards. If your sight are way off, it will just drive you crazy. Start at 50 yards. Try 1 or 2 shots. If nothing is on paper move in to 25 yards and try again. Once you are on paper you have a starting point. If you can really stabilize the rifle and have a friend with you, fire one round; keep your eye in the scope and have your friend adjust the scope until the crosshairs are on the hole the first shot made. Shoot again. The shot should be very close.

This method saves ammo and time (not to mention your shoulder). Once you fine tune a little at short range, extend the distance in increments and continue to fine tune if necessary.

Best of luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mwsenoj

I am 2 hours east of San Diego if anyone, by chance, lives nearby
I'm about 8 hrs north of ya...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might have a friend actually shoot it, and then at least you could remove operator error from the mix.