Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My 45/70 was on the paper out of the box!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default My 45/70 was on the paper out of the box!

I sighted in my Marlin 45/70 (made by Marlin) today and was amazed at how acurate it was out of the box. I bought it before Remington took over Marlin and have'nt been able to get it out. The Iron sights are right on and It took six shells to get it perfect at 100 yards with my 1.5 - 4 scope. I am about 3 inches high at a 100 yards and that is about the longest distance I will be shooting. The kick aint bad either as I have a
sims recoil pad on it. What a rifle!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

when's the bison coming? I think you're ready...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
I sighted in my Marlin 45/70 (made by Marlin) today and was amazed at how acurate it was out of the box. I bought it before Remington took over Marlin and have'nt been able to get it out. The Iron sights are right on and It took six shells to get it perfect at 100 yards with my 1.5 - 4 scope. I am about 3 inches high at a 100 yards and that is about the longest distance I will be shooting. The kick aint bad either as I have a
sims recoil pad on it. What a rifle!!!!!
..... Glad you like your 45/70 Marlin. I own an 1895 22" bbl Marlin. Bought it about 3 yrs. ago. One fine shooting rifle. What you have to realize is that the factory ammo (if that's what you've been shooting) is pretty wimpy stuff, really. Remington keeps it loaded down to satisfy the old Trapdoor Springfields that are still out there. If you are a handloader, you will notice that loading manuals list three loading criterion for the 45/70. One for the old Trapdoor guns, one for the newer lever actions such as we have, and one for the Ruger #1 type action and modern bolt actions built for it. When I first got mine and shot it with factory ammo, it was most impressive at 100 yds, giving me a 5-shot group at just slightly over 1". Subsequent handloading efforts have given me a much more potent round and still with quite acceptable accuracy. It will, however, tend to loosen your fillings. The factory ammo will most certainly kill a deer or blackbear at 45/70 ranges, and if you are happy with that, so be it .. Enjoy!!

Last edited by Pawildman; 03-18-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Wrong model designation
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of the first Guide Guns in 45-70 - one of the ported ones. I love it. I've taken 3 black bear with it with as many shots. It really 'thumps' em. I have a little 1.5 - 4X shotgun scope on it with the circle/crosshair reticle. I'm thinking of getiting another in the cowboy version with the nice long octagon barrel and use it with open sights.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
when's the bison coming? I think you're ready...
Yah Daddy! I love it. I am going to reload some tougher loads but I am an older fella with bad wings. I just hafta be able to hold on to it.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
..... Glad you like your 45/70 Marlin. I own an 1895 22" bbl Marlin. Bought it about 3 yrs. ago. One fine shooting rifle. What you have to realize is that the factory ammo (if that's what you've been shooting) is pretty wimpy stuff, really. Remington keeps it loaded down to satisfy the old Trapdoor Springfields that are still out there. If you are a handloader, you will notice that loading manuals list three loading criterion for the 45/70. One for the old Trapdoor guns, one for the newer lever actions such as we have, and one for the Ruger #1 type action and modern bolt actions built for it. When I first got mine and shot it with factory ammo, it was most impressive at 100 yds, giving me a 5-shot group at just slightly over 1". Subsequent handloading efforts have given me a much more potent round and still with quite acceptable accuracy. It will, however, tend to loosen your fillings. The factory ammo will most certainly kill a deer or blackbear at 45/70 ranges, and if you are happy with that, so be it .. Enjoy!!

I smell what yur steppin in. I am going to reload with my son and try to come up with something with a little more range and yet tolerable for my poor shoulders. The Sims should help alot I hope!