Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first rifle

Old 08-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first rifle

BigEd Bite your tongue,LOL. I don' t think Ruger would ever let itself go down as much as Remington has.Now that Bill Sr is gone Ruger might see some changes. Hopefully nothing like Remington has over the last several years.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-03-2003, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys - I just had to vent. I hope that it is a quick and trouble free fix.

It just frosts me that an out of the box defect wasn' t taken care of by BPS (I could understand if I had it for a week or two and discovered something after shooting it for a while). I didn' t pay for a refurbished or repaired rifle - if I wanted that I would have looked around for a used gun dealer.

I' ll keep ya posted on how it works out!!

Old 08-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzlybear, You know you have nothing to loose. Go back to Bass Pro and talk to the store manager.Be polite but tell him the problems you' ve encountered. That you don' t have time to wait for Ruger to repair it. You bought a new rifle and expected to get a new rifle without defects. If that doesn' t help call the main office in Springfield MO.Get the store managers name and his store number so when you call Springfield you have the inf they' ll probably ask.I was in a Bass Pro over the 4th of July in Ft.Lauderdale FL.I saw some used guns there.I don' t know if they sell them or somehow were trade ins. I was surprised to see them there.They weren' t on the racks but I saw them by the door going into the stock room. If that' s the case there is no reason why they can' t exchange your Ruger.Store Policy or not. The manager can bend the policy if necessary.All you have to loose is a little of your time and probably have allot to gain.That' s just a suggestion.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-04-2003, 12:53 PM

All,

Well, I spent some more time on the phone this morning, and am happy to report that I was able to make the switch. The new one is in the truck now. I just had to wait until I spoke with a manager who would patiently listen and understand the situation. I kept my cool, decided it would be better to try to argue rationally rather than just be a difficult customer, and it worked out.

Thanks, y' all!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey that' s great news. Glad to hear it. Let us know how it shoots.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grizz, I bought the same gun a few years ago, price being the main reason. Out of the box, I shot 5 inch groups at a hundred yards and that was the best I could do. I started reloading my own shells and after alot of experimentation, I was still shooting the same crappy groups. I was really ill, cause I had owned a ruger 243 that was a nail driver. Well, I put out a $100 and bought a hogue pillar bedded stock and then put out another $80 and put a timney trigger on it. Guess what, I still shoot 5 inch groups but now I shoot 5 inch groups at 400 yards. At 100 yards, I shoot under an inch. I think the gun will do better but with my old tired eyes, that' s the best I can do.
If your trigger is as stiff as mine was, get it fixed, maybe they have improved that. Then, if you can' t get good groups, try changing the stock.
Good luck to you.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for you Grizzly,I hope your new rifle is defect free.I' ve dealt with BassPro many times and never had any problems.I' m glad the manager saw it your way.Keep us posted how it shoots.
Ruger Redhawk