Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how stupid can you be, I mean come on

Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a favor and just try and do a better job at conceiling your weapon. Even though you might be technically legal, it's best to not draw attention to yourself. If people were to call the police on you it's possible to get a reputation as someone who flaunts their weapon. When the day comes that you need to use your weapon, it would be much better for you if you don't have blemishes on file that a lawyer can use against you. There's also no reason to pull out your gun and unload it in a store. If you need to have the gun out, then you should unload it outside and bring it in a case.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not dis agree, but lets say you go into gander for a new holster, which I did on another day, given you want to make sure it fits and they do not have the same module, what are you to do, go outside and unload it to come back in with it? When I looked at the new holster the guy who is the manager of the gun dept said we do not have a glock 21, I said well is it ok that I use mine, he said sure just unload it. That day the chamber was clear so I removed the mag, though I did check the chamber by pulling it back about a 1/4 inch. A few days later was when I was looking at the 17s. I see you point at say walmart or kmart, but at a gun dept of a outdoor, hunting, gun store, I do not see it so much.
I am looking at some shoulder holsters to CC the thing, in florida it will be about my only option, I do not think printing will be such a issue with the glock 17 it never was with my ruger in a vertical holster, even with a light weight button up T shirt

I see no problem with some OC, even if they want it to be out in plan sight. I normally do one of two things, where my thin black shirt which I bought to big for me so it hung down low and was loose on me, it does a good job, covers all but the last 1 inch of so of the holster, or where I green cotton T shirt and my coat. Though I find my self wearing everyday and so wearing one of those shirts every day is a issue . I just ordered me some new clothes(big guy and do most my shopping online. I wear a 6x fairly comfortbly, it fits me right with alittle extra room so not to show my gut or crack when I ordered my shirsts I ordered 4 9X shirts for carry, they should be about 5 inchs longer and fairly wider, so it should cover the gun find. For the most part here the coat does it, though if it was not for the gun I would toss it, it is ripped up and old, but I ant paying out 200 for a new leather coat in march when I will be in florida next winter.
Given I am ok with anyone open carry I do agree and feel the same issues, and concerns, it makes you a target for all kinds LE, criminals, and those like my old buddy with the attitude. Where CC removes that.

I think with some OC is a bad idea, I have a buddy who carries and has had his permit longer then me, he did not know OC was legal after I told him I was 100% on it he went and got a belt holster, for some reason he feels this is now how god intended him to carry. God help someone who tells him he should not. Not sure why just his thinking I guess.
Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Do yourself a favor and just try and do a better job at conceiling your weapon. Even though you might be technically legal, it's best to not draw attention to yourself. If people were to call the police on you it's possible to get a reputation as someone who flaunts their weapon. When the day comes that you need to use your weapon, it would be much better for you if you don't have blemishes on file that a lawyer can use against you. There's also no reason to pull out your gun and unload it in a store. If you need to have the gun out, then you should unload it outside and bring it in a case.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fitting a holster could be considered an unforeseen event. I've always kept my gun conceiled and asked to use one of the store's gun to try the holster's fit. I can see your situation and you did right by asking permission before taking the weapon out. Just don't start opening holster packages and try your gun in them without a salesman blessing.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is this.....probably just an ignorant person that you encountered that day.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I know it's your right and legal to open carry but if you are going to do it, be prepared to deal with the idiots and having the law called on you. Personally, I have been carrying concealed for 8 years now and while it is legal to open carry where I live, I won't do it because I really don't want the attention or see the need to do so.

IMO, the guy's hand at Wal Mart was way too close to you gun, if not on it before you noticed. If I felt a hand on my gun, it isn't going to be a conversation, it's probably going to be a fight after I grab their hand. I'm not at all saying I would draw the gun either. That's a situtation I would perfer to avoid and can do so by carrying concealed.

There are tons of good IWB holsters that conceal very well with just a untucked shirt. I use one by HBE leather works that I paid $120 for that is well worth the money. It has two clips and goes inside the waist band. A good holster, and the right holster for you can make all the difference in the world. Another thing to consider when carrying is your choice of clothing. You may need to start purchasing clothes one size bigger to conceal better. Always remember, anytime you are carrying and get into any kind of altercation, it is a potential gun fight now because you just brought a gun on the sceen. You should use situtational awareness to recoginize dangers and do your best to avoid them. The gun you carry should only be used as a LAST OPTION. There is a lot of added responsibility and risk with carrying. Good luck to you!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose this experience can be nitpicked and analyzed in any number of ways. I'll throw my hat in the ring and give it a try myself. I'm not arguing that better concealing is not desirable: sure, OK, it is desirable. On the other hand, as a collective experience does seeing people occasionally carrying -- as in this case -- create the reasonable fear among bad actors that a chance victim likewise may be carrying? That wouldn't be bad, would it? How many criminals are shrewd, intelligent, alert and therefor liable to take notice and deal first with the carrying guy. I would think a lot of criminals who don't qualify as shrewd, intelligent, and alert who wouldn't notice. Maybe these criminals are focusing on themselves, trying not to be noticed, reciting their crime script in their mind so they don't misstep to notice. Maybe they are already thinking ahead to getting high on drugs from what they are going to steal and don't notice because of that. Smart and alert criminals aren't sticking up Walmart -- they're looking for bigger money and they are looking for soft targets.

As I said, my analysis. Maybe I'm totally out of my mind.

With reference to the guy who was harrassing you, I think I would have been much less talkative. I would tell the guy to mind his own business, that unless he was a bar certified attorney it was illegal to represent himself as qualified to dispense legal advice, and that if you had wanted some advice you would have called "Personal Gurus R Us."
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

That was what I was refering to about, I ordered some cloths last month and went big on my shirts.
When I felt the gun tip I was on it and around in a second or so, by this time he had took a step back. Had it been more of a pull or jerk it would have went different. I feel confident in my skills and size to handle any non lethal issue. In fact had one the other day. A guy who works for us has been getting alittle to big for his pants, seems to get a attitude every time I tell him to do this or that, and any issue he gets mouthy with me. A few times I have wanted just knock him up side his head, all three times I was carrying. Well the last time we were in my driveway, he got attitude and said he was not doing something. I told him he would or he would not like the result, not so much I am going to knock you up side your head, more your going to be fired. He then said you ant going to do anything. I went in the house, told my dad he needed to rely his own orders to the guy because next time he gets in my face I was going to lay him out. When my dad came back in I told him I would not be working with the guy and if I was going to take over the day to day op of our company he was gone. (my dad has no issue with that either), my dad said well the next time you feel the need to get into a fight with a guy you need to remember that gun on your belt. This was the reason for going inside, I removed the gun from the holster secured it, just in case the situation got out of hand. Honestly I was ready to deal with the consequences of knocking him out, I had bail money. The only reason I have not is I would loose my handgun permit, and he ant worth it.

Like you said a simple fight might turn into shooting a guy when you hit him and he reaches for your gun. When this happens I would bet your be the one in jail, more so if you throw the first punch.
We all have to talk care of what we say and do, cause a simple hey go screw your self can turn ugly real quick. I would feel bad if I told a guy off and that resulted in him say pulling a knife or a bat out, nothing saying I ant going to protect my self, just in the end it was my fault he is dead or injured cause I pushed it into a issue. Sure I might have the legal right to shoot, but did it need to go there.

I was a hot head in school, it took along time for me to gain control over my emotions and anger. One reason I waited till I was 25 to get my permit. Before you could say something like you fat butt or threaten me and I would not blink to pop you in the mouth. It took time for me to gain control of that, and it has helped me, I have not been in a fight in 6 or 7 years, and have had people cussing me right in my face, I smile and say have a nice day. I find that more power of them then laying them out.
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I know it's your right and legal to open carry but if you are going to do it, be prepared to deal with the idiots and having the law called on you. Personally, I have been carrying concealed for 8 years now and while it is legal to open carry where I live, I won't do it because I really don't want the attention or see the need to do so.

IMO, the guy's hand at Wal Mart was way too close to you gun, if not on it before you noticed. If I felt a hand on my gun, it isn't going to be a conversation, it's probably going to be a fight after I grab their hand. I'm not at all saying I would draw the gun either. That's a situtation I would perfer to avoid and can do so by carrying concealed.

There are tons of good IWB holsters that conceal very well with just a untucked shirt. I use one by HBE leather works that I paid $120 for that is well worth the money. It has two clips and goes inside the waist band. A good holster, and the right holster for you can make all the difference in the world. Another thing to consider when carrying is your choice of clothing. You may need to start purchasing clothes one size bigger to conceal better. Always remember, anytime you are carrying and get into any kind of altercation, it is a potential gun fight now because you just brought a gun on the sceen. You should use situtational awareness to recoginize dangers and do your best to avoid them. The gun you carry should only be used as a LAST OPTION. There is a lot of added responsibility and risk with carrying. Good luck to you!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

on a side not like you said avoid those situations that need to be avoided, I went to my cousins house, Not carrying when I came to the door he was next door(i did not notice this)
He came up started punching me on the back(jokingly not real punches but enough) and reached around for my gun. I doubt he planned to pull it out or anything, more of a 14 year old playing. I turned and told him, do you realize just how close you came to being laid out on the ground or worst SHOT.

Luckly I was lazy and put on sweat pants so no weapon on my belt. He told me ohh you wont shoot me, I said no of course not, but at night and when someoen does that and I have a gun it might just be I turn around punch you in the face. That would likely be my first move in a real situation like what he did. Atleast he ends up with a busted nose and I am telling his mom why I am 25 490 pounds and punching him in the face. I told him a person wont wait to see who you are. DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN. If he does I think I will just give him alittle love tap to reinforce the idea.

His step dad a nat guard member and gun owner was less then happy to hear what he had done.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all due respect, you really need to slow your role...

I'm REALLY not trying to flame you here, but after following your posts for quite some time now, you really need to take a look at yourself...

You post tons of rambling threads daily, with rebuttal responses to EVERY member's reply to your posts... Typically, you only talk about one of 4 things, Glocks, AR-15's, living in FL and IN, or wanting an excuse to shoot someone now that you have your CCW permit. A lot of your posts (especially last week) include foul language, and by reading your posts, you're just itching for a fight on a daily basis... Man, it's the same old story post after post.

Personally, you are the exact type of person that I would NOT want carrying a gun, open, concealed, or otherwise. By your own admission, you aren't sure of the laws, and you're overly aggressive. Maybe you don't live in a good area, since you've mentioned people trying to break into your house, but this isn't the old west.

You really seem like the stereotypical bully kid in grade school. Be prepared that when you do eventually punch someone in the face, that you'll end up losing a lot more than just your bail money and handgun permit. Assault charges can cost you jobs, home loans, gun ownership, time in prison, civil lawsuits, etc etc etc. Let alone whatever damage might happen to your physical self. Just because you're "490lbs", that doesn't automatically make you a "bad mother"... Most likely it makes you slow and easily worn out, so when you rely on your size to justify blowing your top and "punching someone in the mouth", don't be surprised with what happens afterwards. Put a 200lb man against a 490lb man and I'll bet on the lighter guy EVERY TIME...

Like I said, I'm not just trying to insult you, but I've been using these boards off and on for over 10yrs, and it's guys that swamp the board with meaningless and aggressive posts like yours that make me stop coming back. You seem like you have a decent head on your shoulders, but you're wound up tighter than a drum.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I'd be too happy if a stranger touched my gun anywhere anytime. However, stores are not public property and you're subject to obey store policy or you could be asked to leave. It's my understanding that walmart is a concealed carry only store (assuming you are lawfully allowed in the area); no open carry allowed, except for law enforcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.