Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farmdude,
Instead of just cutting the stock down on the 243 you already have, why don't you look into finding a replacement stock that yo can alter, or a replacement stock to take the place of the full length one you have. That way when you're done you won't have turned the rifle into a one person gun or a one size gyn. With the other stock you'll be set for when the young'n grows, or when your daughter-in-law wants it back.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
Farmdude,
Instead of just cutting the stock down on the 243 you already have, why don't you look into finding a replacement stock that yo can alter, or a replacement stock to take the place of the full length one you have. That way when you're done you won't have turned the rifle into a one person gun or a one size gyn. With the other stock you'll be set for when the young'n grows, or when your daughter-in-law wants it back.
see post #9alllready have a youth replacement stock spotted...or she could just slip on another slip onm rcoil pad
or shim?

Last edited by farmdude01; 03-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'd not cut down a stock to a model 7 if it was me. I'd try to get a nice aftermarket stock either the proper size, or cut the aftermarket one down and leave the original alone. That would be a great hunting gun for a youth.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

TC Venture in .243 or 7mm-08. Best bang for the buck but no scope. Savage might be next choice (same calibers).
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

SOunds like you have a plan with that Model 7, good rifle. I wouldn't cut the original stock though. It's probably a nice looking rifle. Find an aftermarket stock to fit them. It shouldn't hurt the wallet much
-Jake
Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check to see what these guys have for the Model 7. They sell some good stocks and have great prices.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront
I personally would cut the original, there are several better aftermarket stocks you could replace it with later on. Its not like the Model 7 is a highly sought after collectors gun that you would want to keep original. You already have the gun, cutting the stock and putting a recoil pad on it isnt going to cost much, and later if she continues enjoying hunting and out grows the stock, replace it with a good stock.

If you look at this link of Stockystocks you can get a brand new model 7 CDL Classic stock for less than $130. Or you can get a brand new the model 7 CDL with the black forend cap for less than $100. Deffinitely cut the original!, Chances are it isnt a model 7 CDL and the original stock will be no where near as nice as either one of these, and you will actually be increaseing the value of the firearm when you replace it. If it is a CDL you are still not loseing out by cutting it, these are factory made Remington stocks for the Model 7, you will just have a new one to put on it later. Some of these guys on here act like the Model 7 has a custom made, high dollar stock that cant be replaced.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cks/Categories

Last edited by fritz1; 03-03-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
You might want to check to see what these guys have for the Model 7. They sell some good stocks and have great prices.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront
I personally would cut the original, there are several better aftermarket stocks you could replace it with later on. Its not like the Model 7 is a highly sought after collectors gun that you would want to keep original. You already have the gun, cutting the stock and putting a recoil pad on it isnt going to cost much, and later if she continues enjoying hunting and out grows the stock, replace it with a good stock.

If you look at this link of Stockystocks you can get a brand new model 7 CDL Classic stock for less than $130. Or you can get a brand new the model 7 CDL with the black forend cap for less than $100. Deffinitely cut the original!, Chances are it isnt a model 7 CDL and the original stock will be no where near as nice as either one of these, and you will actually be increaseing the value of the firearm when you replace it. If it is a CDL you are still not loseing out by cutting it, these are factory made Remington stocks for the Model 7, you will just have a new one to put on it later. Some of these guys on here act like the Model 7 has a custom made, high dollar stock that cant be replaced.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...cks/Categories
No you won't be increasing the value of the firearm if you put an aftermarket stocks on there. You will be lowering it by several hundred dollars as no one wants a pieced together gun in something like a model 7 which is what guns appear to be if they have chopped stocks, barrels, aftermarket stocks, etc. That's why I would buy something like that and cut it and leave the original alone. I'd prefer to keep it a $5-600 gun instead of taking the value down to to a $300 gun.

If you get a stock from them that actually is a Remington stock, you may not be lowering the value a ton, but I'd rather have the original stock so I could have the gun be "original" if it was me.

It's just like with cars. A 1969 Camaro is worth a lot more if it's original and numbers matching than if it's the same car with some motor from a random year Camaro thrown in. Even though the other motor might have more power, or be newer, it still lowers the value.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 03-03-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
No you won't be increasing the value of the firearm if you put an aftermarket stocks on there. You will be lowering it by several hundred dollars as no one wants a pieced together gun in something like a model 7 which is what guns appear to be if they have chopped stocks, barrels, aftermarket stocks, etc. That's why I would buy something like that and cut it and leave the original alone. I'd prefer to keep it a $5-600 gun instead of taking the value down to to a $300 gun.

If you get a stock from them that actually is a Remington stock, you may not be lowering the value a ton, but I'd rather have the original stock so I could have the gun be "original" if it was me.

It's just like with cars. A 1969 Camaro is worth a lot more if it's original and numbers matching than if it's the same car with some motor from a random year Camaro thrown in. Even though the other motor might have more power, or be newer, it still lowers the value.
It isnt a Aftermarket stock, apparently you did not go to that site and look at them, those are Remington stocks, made by Remington, the same stocks that come on the Remington Model 7 CDL. By the way, I wasnt aware that a Remington stock had numbers on it, identifing it as an original. Maybe you can tell me where I can find the numbers on my remington stocks so I will know if mine are originals or not. LOL!

Last edited by fritz1; 03-03-2011 at 05:17 PM.