Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

converting a 500 to a home defense module

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default converting a 500 to a home defense module

I have a mossberg 500 pump, it has the wood stock and the 28 inch barrel. Since getting it for deer several years ago(god how time flys) and getting my muzzleloader in the 2009 season I do not use it much, the odd target shoot or such.

I would like to keep it able to pop some clays when I go or maybe a rabbit or two, been saying I was going to go rabbit hunting for 4 years though

I am thinking a good quality vertical grip for the foreend stock and a adjustable pistol grip for the stock.

Any recommendations or should I either just do the pistol grip and buy a good bird/clay gun, or just leave it and buy the HD 500 version already set up?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion I would leave it be, and purchase a HD gun set up.
I would also not get the pistol grip/shoulder stock on a Mossberg. With a pistol grip/shoulder stock you have to break your grip to use the top tang safety..a no no in any self defense situation.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like ya have a clay shooter already, go get a home defense shotty....you can just buy it with the pistol grip and shorter barrel.
could also just get a "leopard" gun.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am thinking a 500 just in case gun, the barrel for a 500 in a 18.5 inch length is 120 ish, the stocks will run min 55-100 so I am looking at saving a 100 to 150 when I could have both.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i c..your talkin bout just changin everything out? and have 2 different guns, just not all at the same time?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking that but it all adds up close to a new gun
Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i c..your talkin bout just changin everything out? and have 2 different guns, just not all at the same time?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'd leave the shotgun for field work, and use your glock for home defense.

At home defense ranges, a shotgun doesn't spread much. There IS an advantage in having a lot of stopping power, but your .45 glock has plenty of punch to stop an intruder. The DISADVANTAGE for a shotgun is size. Across a bedroom, you're talking about 10-15ft shots. You'll be able to get off ONE shot before an intruder could close the gap and deflect your muzzle. Once you present ANY gun, an intruder will likely scatter, but if they're smart, they'd attack. Running off, to me, means you're going to shoot me in the back. If I advance, I greatly improve my odds.

If you really insist on using a shotgun, I'd recommend a model with a buttstock AND pistol grip (like an A2 style or turkey style stock) and a vertical foregrip. That'll maximize your power for maintaining control of your shotgun if someone gets ahold of your muzzle.

I personally wouldn't spend money buying retro-fit parts. A Mossberg 500 Just in Case runs about $350 around here. I wouldn't mess with the 28" bbl wood stock. I'd start over, get a short barrel with the stock I wanted (the 500 JIC doesn't qualify), then add a vertical forend grip for $30. The retro-fit will cost about the same as the new shotgun anyway, so if you really don't have any use for the 28" 500, I'd sell it and put that money towards the shorty, instead of ruining a perfectly good wingshooter.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember the sound of the pump action speaks all language's!!! Everyone understands that sound even the dumb one's. Not much modfication really needed. Just oil her up good so the action makes a crisp and loud warning. They will know what is next. Jim
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree going to leave it and buy a HD module, I love the glock, just like options
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Personally, I'd leave the shotgun for field work, and use your glock for home defense.

At home defense ranges, a shotgun doesn't spread much. There IS an advantage in having a lot of stopping power, but your .45 glock has plenty of punch to stop an intruder. The DISADVANTAGE for a shotgun is size. Across a bedroom, you're talking about 10-15ft shots. You'll be able to get off ONE shot before an intruder could close the gap and deflect your muzzle. Once you present ANY gun, an intruder will likely scatter, but if they're smart, they'd attack. Running off, to me, means you're going to shoot me in the back. If I advance, I greatly improve my odds.

If you really insist on using a shotgun, I'd recommend a model with a buttstock AND pistol grip (like an A2 style or turkey style stock) and a vertical foregrip. That'll maximize your power for maintaining control of your shotgun if someone gets ahold of your muzzle.

I personally wouldn't spend money buying retro-fit parts. A Mossberg 500 Just in Case runs about $350 around here. I wouldn't mess with the 28" bbl wood stock. I'd start over, get a short barrel with the stock I wanted (the 500 JIC doesn't qualify), then add a vertical forend grip for $30. The retro-fit will cost about the same as the new shotgun anyway, so if you really don't have any use for the 28" 500, I'd sell it and put that money towards the shorty, instead of ruining a perfectly good wingshooter.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Just remember the sound of the pump action speaks all language's!!! Everyone understands that sound even the dumb one's. Not much modfication really needed. Just oil her up good so the action makes a crisp and loud warning. They will know what is next. Jim
bigtim whatever you do please do not rely on this advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.