Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

264 win mag

Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default 264 win mag

lookin for any loads for 264 win mag or anybody that has experience eith the caliber. i bought a box of factory that was loaded with berger bullet, and i have loaded some sst, just not gettin groups that i thought i would
Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There may be more variables affecting your group size than simply your ammunition.

Guys here who are more familiar with this caliber than I am may be interested in knowing the make and model of your rifle, approximately how many rounds have been through it, whether you've checked for loose scope mounts, as well as anything else you've done to isolate your problem to ammunition.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope your barrel isn't shot out. The 264 WM is very hard on barrels.

Good luck tuning it in.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

just not gettin groups that i thought i would
And FWIW.....just what kind of groups are you getting....and what bullet?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

the gun is a ruger m77 mk II, 50th anniv. model.-24' BBL- it had one round shot through it when i purchased it- shootin factory HSM TROPHY GOLD AMMO- 140 gr. berger hpbt hunting vld
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ruger-Redhawk
I hope your barrel isn't shot out. The 264 WM is very hard on barrels.

Good luck tuning it in.
I disagree with this. I have a .264 that my dad bought new in 1970ish, it has been hunted with almost every year since then. This year when I sighted in my rifle, it put 3 bullets into a cloverleaf at 100yds. Can't get much better than that in a hunting rifle.

I haven't had time to start reloading for it so I am shooting the Nosler Custom Ammo in 130 gr Accubond. So far I am more than impressed with them. Except for the price per box of ammo.

Hope you get your gun good.

Thomas
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DUNEZRUNNER
I disagree with this. I have a .264 that my dad bought new in 1970ish, it has been hunted with almost every year since then. This year when I sighted in my rifle, it put 3 bullets into a cloverleaf at 100yds. Can't get much better than that in a hunting rifle.

I haven't had time to start reloading for it so I am shooting the Nosler Custom Ammo in 130 gr Accubond. So far I am more than impressed with them. Except for the price per box of ammo.

Hope you get your gun good.

Thomas
The .264 does have a hx of short barrel life which is hard to get around considering the large amounts of pwd used and the small diameter of the bullet. However if it used for big game hunting and just shot to sight it in it will last a long time.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hoghunter59
the gun is a ruger m77 mk II, 50th anniv. model.-24' BBL- it had one round shot through it when i purchased it- shootin factory HSM TROPHY GOLD AMMO- 140 gr. berger hpbt hunting vld
the ammo might be your problem. ive found almost all vld's to be very sensitive when it comes to seating depth. when they do shoot well they are simply amazing but i have to be honest, if you dont need them, dont go through all the trouble and just get something in the mid range like accubonds, tipped triple shocks or sst's.

Last edited by dylan_b; 02-10-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

got it shootin and groupin now, started playin with bullets and found out it really liked hornady 140 gr. sst innerloks, still playin with loads to see if i cant fine tune it better, thanks for all the replies, knew it had a rep as a barell burner, wanted a flat shootin rifle for shootin pigs on hayfields, thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 264 ought to do the trick on hogs good luck.