Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first results with Optima .223

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default first results with Optima .223

I bought some PMC 55gr. fmj's when I picked up my barrel the other day. I mounted my scope on the barrel, and a couple days later I was able to shoot it. I shot 50y off a bench, and was getting groups of over an inch. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in that.

I got some handloads from a friend of mine this past weekend. I'm not sure which or how much powder were loaded in them, but they are 55gr. V-Max bullets. I didn't have time to get the shooting bench out, so I just shot from a sitting position with my wooden Hunters Specialties shooting sticks. At 100 yards, my first 2 shots were almost touching. I dropped the scope down, and my final group (minus a flier from jerking the trigger) was 4 shots just under 7/8".

I can't wait to get this on a bench to find out just how well it will group those loads. Now all I need is a coyote to try it out on!

rw