Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Problem with my Elite barrel. Ideas?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Problem with my Elite barrel. Ideas?

The .270 barrel on my Optima Elite has a forend lug that slides in and out of a dovetail groove on the bottom of the barrel. It is split in the middle, and a set screw is tightened into it to spread the lug and hold it in the dovetail. I noticed the other day that my forend was slipping back and forth. I took it off and found that the lug isn't tight in the groove. I have tightened that screw as tight as I can with an allen wrench. It just won't get tight. I'm wondering if the loose forend is where my accuracy problems are coming from. It can't be helping!

Have any of you had this problem with your CVA barrel? Short of sending it in to CVA (4-6 week turnaround, maybe more right now) do you know of any fixes? I tried shims cut out of a pop can, but that doesn't work.

I'm open for all suggestions (maybe not all...I'm not buying a T/C )

rw