Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

two gun questions

Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default two gun questions

I am a fan of xbox and play call of duty, I have also found a new respect for the old WW2 guns and the mosin nagant. At a local pawn shop I saw one and got to really look it over and handle it. Now I want the thing and can not get it out of my mind. Is one in good shape worth 129 bucks?

Second is completely on the other end of guns, I guess I far apart as two guns could get

I am now officially moving to florida key largo in fact, of course hunting in key largo not so good, so I will be making a long drive though

I want to get a rifle and more so an AR10 been wanting one and now have a reason.
Trying to figure if I should go .308 or 7.62x51

I know their all but the same, but if I ant wrong you can not fire a 7.62 through a 308, but you can fire a 308 through a 7.62, I think is has to do with pressures. for hunting will a 16 inch barrel be ok or will I be better of going to the 20
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

129s a reasonable price, but often they're 100 and can be bought online for like 80 (note shipping and transfer fees)
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have it backwards about the 7.62x51 and 308win. The 308win can fire 7.62x51 ammunition, but the 308win is too high pressured to fire in older 7.62x51mm rifles. Certain battle rifles tuned for 7.62x51 (such as the M-14/M-1A and AR-10) can experience excessive wear and even possible failure if you use .308win loads.

On the mosin nagant, personally, no, it's not worth the money to me. Some of them can be exceptionally accurate, and I suppose if you're planning to leave it in it's original, unaltered state, then it's a good deal. However, if you plan to buy the mosin Nagant and sporterize it, then you are wasting your money. By the time you buy the rifle ($100-130), change the stock stock ($75-100), add scope mounts ($100+/-), have the bolt cut or bent ($60-100), etc etc you've already spent enough money to buy a decent modern rifle. Then add the on-going slightly higher ammo cost (for decent hunting grade ammo, of course surplus ammo is dirt cheap), and you've wasted a ton of money on a rifle that's STILL only worth $130 if you'd ever resell it (yup, spending $400 sporterizing it DOES NOT increase resale value).
Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see, got it mixed with the 5.56 and .223, so basicly buy the 308 rifle right? If I go for the misin nagant it will be left in it's unaltered state, likely rarely if ever fired. Really just WANT ONE, though not sure I need to be in a hurry, not like there RARE
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You have it backwards about the 7.62x51 and 308win. The 308win can fire 7.62x51 ammunition, but the 308win is too high pressured to fire in older 7.62x51mm rifles. Certain battle rifles tuned for 7.62x51 (such as the M-14/M-1A and AR-10) can experience excessive wear and even possible failure if you use .308win loads.

On the mosin nagant, personally, no, it's not worth the money to me. Some of them can be exceptionally accurate, and I suppose if you're planning to leave it in it's original, unaltered state, then it's a good deal. However, if you plan to buy the mosin Nagant and sporterize it, then you are wasting your money. By the time you buy the rifle ($100-130), change the stock stock ($75-100), add scope mounts ($100+/-), have the bolt cut or bent ($60-100), etc etc you've already spent enough money to buy a decent modern rifle. Then add the on-going slightly higher ammo cost (for decent hunting grade ammo, of course surplus ammo is dirt cheap), and you've wasted a ton of money on a rifle that's STILL only worth $130 if you'd ever resell it (yup, spending $400 sporterizing it DOES NOT increase resale value).
Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
the mosin nagant. I saw one and got to really look it over and handle it. Now I want the thing and can not get it out of my mind.
Forgive me for only addressing one of your questions....

Find a tavern that serves cheap whiskey and drink until the thing falls out of your mind....It'll likely cost a lot less than $129 and you'll be money ahead.