Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Extreme Weather Rifle

Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

How about a single shot TC Encore Pro Hunter in stainless steel? Almost nothing on them to fail regardless of weather.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the two rifles that were mentioned by the OP, you can not make a wrong pick. I would also consider the Ruger stainless if I had to make the choice. The Ruger has a bolt that is easy to take apart to clean. These are all very rugged and reliable rifles.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

In extremely cold temperatures the chemical reaction that is rust slows way down, so the lightest coats of iol on the outside surfaces is all that's needed. On moving parts though one should go VERY sparse on lubricants. Once you get in temps below 40 degrees you worry about the oil or grease in/on the firearm causing things to slow down or bind. Grease at 35 degress or colder can act like chewing gum ... old chewing gum. And some oils in cold temps act like grease, stiff grease.
Once your gun is squeaky clean and dry the lightest amount of teflon or grafite types of lubricants are best for extremely cold temps. On moving parts anyway.

I actually like to go with very clean and nearly bone dry firearms in very cold temps. Oils don't help with moving parts much in really cold temps and the rust protection is a moot point under 35 degrees. Once you bring it indoors that's a different story.

As for the bringing it indoors problem, I do as follows ...
I bring the cold gun inside in a case and take it to the basement and put it on the cold cement floor. I then cover it with a lot of blankets or my hunting clothes. This allows the cold gun and case to slowly come up to room temperature and doesn't allow condensation to form like when a cold weapon rapidly warms.

So far I've not had one bit of condensation form when following this regimen. The gun can then be cleaned and put away the next day with no rust worries.

If the gun needs to come indoors wet then you have a different issue and you'll need to get rust inhibitors on it quickly
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now an Extreme Weather Rifle

They sure will sell lots of those in the coming frigid years. With all these newbie country club hunters, "extreme weather rifle" has a nice ring to it.

Of course, I'm an old fellow and used a Marlin .35 Rem. to shoot deer in minus zero weather. Even used a flintlock muzzleloader to harvest a deer in "extreme weather."

Now I could tell you how the Russian soldier in WWII at places like Stalingrad, use to mix a little gasoline with their cleaning oil on their rifles. But I better not. Those newbie country club hunters would find a way to blow themselves totally up.

Those fellas probably need those Extreme Weather rifles.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reminds me

In the frozen north of over thirty years ago, I used that new product WD-40. After cleaning the rifle, I put a slight amount of WD-40 on moving gun parts and in the barrel.

For those seeing frozen winters, I'd recommend some WD-40 on keys, then into a frozen lock, to unfreeze the lock. I always kept some in the house and in the vehicle, just in case. I found it very useful to change a tire and get the lug nuts unfrozen.