Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

California hunting----

Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default California hunting----

I'm now living in Northern Indiana, but we may decide to move back to southern California in the near future so this is directed to those of you on the forum that can give me some answers. I have three rifles and one handgun currently, a .204, 30-06 and a .300 Win Mag and a small .38 special. Just how threatening or unrealistic are the current Calif gun laws? How difficult is it to find, say in the Palm Springs area, someplace to shoot coyotes or javelina? I know that hunting out there would mean a bit of a drive, but is it possible to get far enough out to just hunt jackrabbits and coyotes without running afoul of the law? Living back here just requires a farmer's permission to hunt his fields, but, I'd like to get an idea of what to expect out there--thanks for any suggestions from the guys in California------John
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

You are going to have to check the California gun laws.

My guess is that you are going to have to travel to where ever there is a place that allows public hunting. It isn't just as easy anymore as driving out a road until you get out of town.

Just as in Pennsylvania, you will have to find land that is open to public hunting.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...n/hunting.html

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/
Old 09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Mr D H--thanks, there was a ton of usefull information in the web sites you gave me--I realize that getting far enough out in the badlands for just some fun shooting will require at least a two hour drive or more, but it will be worth it. There was an outdoor range, primarily for rifles, up a ways in the foothills north of Irvine years ago, and although it was very rigidly controlled, it was still a lot of fun shooting with that many others and endlessly talking guns. This may be the excuse I need to go out and purchase a new target revolver for the indoor ranges, right?---thanks again--John