Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lead sled question

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default lead sled question

Does any one use the lead sled dft? If so how do you like it and is it worth the extra money?

I ordered one today for my muzzleloader and when I get a nice bolt action rifle. Figured it would be a nice rest to use to sight in my 10/22.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Does any one use the lead sled dft? If so how do you like it and is it worth the extra money?

I ordered one today for my muzzleloader and when I get a nice bolt action rifle. Figured it would be a nice rest to use to sight in my 10/22.
Love my original lead sled. Haven't see the new one, and probably won't. Old one works great for my needs.

Review of New one.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/caldwell_lead_sled_DFT.htm
Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I built one. It's basically a sand-bag and a rear-rest that stops recoil.

It cost me about $7 to make the same thing...but I used sand bags that I previously had.

I put an adjustable front rest w/ a sand bag on it in front. Then I affixed an L-shaped piece of 1/4" steel to my shooting bench. I wrapped the steel w/ leather and a thin padding.

I shot a box of .308 Norma Mag shells from that rest last fall, and I was no worse for the wear. The nice thing is that the 1/4" steel flexes quite a bit, so between that, the padding, and the movement of the bench there is no danger of damaging the gun.

I just couldn't see paying $1-200 for a gun rest.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

We have one - but we don't use it because your sight picture in the scope changes when you use the lead sled. Part of sighting in a rifle is cheeking the stock and looking directly down the scope - just as you would if you were out in the woods hunting deer / bear / elk etc..

It's not very practical if you are trying to site in a pump action rifle either - because you have to take the rifle out of it every time you put another round in the chamber and that changes its point of aim from one time to the next.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Be careful with any shooting rest where the butt of the stock is against anything other than your shoulder. People have cracked the stocks of their firearms by firing from a shooting rest were the firearm was not allowed to move to the rear during recoil.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did not realize the site picture could change. Guess a person could hold it right. Also one thing with a muzzy is it would need to be lifted like a pump would.

Though I have never heard of a issue with the lead sled and it cracking stocks. Main thing was to take the human part out of it when sighting and the recoil on my bad shoulder. Though I will make sure to fire it like I do in the woods. Last year a buddy asked why I was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket seat and the tripod I have for it and not the nice shooting bench. My answer was that bench is not in the woods with me, this bucket and tripod is however.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

origanal sled 2007 MSRP $149.99)

sled dft
2007 MSRP of $261.37.

Now 84.99 and 149.99 for each. Wow how the price dropped glad I did not buy it when I wanted to back then.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

If you lived in Pennsylvania, you could bring it to my house with a couple of boxes of shells and I would guarantee you that if I sighted it in that it would be right.

I gave my dad a .270 Gamemaster once that would shoot two 140 gr bullets in the same hole at 200 yards. He called me a liar one day and I took the gun, after being in the gun cabinet for 5 years, wiped the dust off it. Put a shell in the chamber, pulled the trigger, bulls eye.

Took the empty shell out, had my brother put a piece of masking tape over the hole and shot a second time and all you could see from the back side of the target was the masking tape pulled through the hole.

A perfect .270 hole in the target and nothing else.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I got one last year and really like it. It holds bags of lead shot or two 25lb iron weights, which is what I use. I think they are great for making sure the gun is setup right.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigtim6656

Though I have never heard of a issue with the lead sled and it cracking stocks
It's happened, esp with big magnums which is the only thing a lead sled would be useful for...bipod and rear bag will take care of everything else...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.