Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just got hunting license, where to go from here.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Default Just got hunting license, where to go from here.

Ok I have a 1000+ fps pellet rifle that I can use for varment hunting and rabbit hunting. What I need know is a bigger bang. So i need to ask would it be safer to go with a 30-06 or with a 12 gauge. I like 12 gauge for the fact it can be multi use meaning it can shoot slugs and pellets (shot gun ammom pellets) But 30-06 are so much easier to work with. So that is why I ask what do you suggest and if there is any gun suggestions under $200 if need be $300 but I would like the best but for cheap, also a scope would be nice. This gun could be used from rabbits to ducks to even white tail, so what do you guys suggest?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like you're in over your head, mentioning a 30-06 for rabbits and ducks. I'd suggest hunter education first.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 510Hunter
Ok I have a 1000+ fps pellet rifle that I can use for varment hunting and rabbit hunting. What I need know is a bigger bang. So i need to ask would it be safer to go with a 30-06 or with a 12 gauge. I like 12 gauge for the fact it can be multi use meaning it can shoot slugs and pellets (shot gun ammom pellets) But 30-06 are so much easier to work with. So that is why I ask what do you suggest and if there is any gun suggestions under $200 if need be $300 but I would like the best but for cheap, also a scope would be nice. This gun could be used from rabbits to ducks to even white tail, so what do you guys suggest?
I strongly recommend you cruise the used racks and look for a 12 Ga bolt action shotgun with a poly choke on the end.

It'll do ducks with steel shot, raggits with lead and open the choke for shooting slugs for deer......and you'll probably find it well under the $200 figure.....forget the scope....it's not likely going to fit on the shotgun.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Spike

I remember seeing some rifles where you can actual screw in different size chokes to the tip that way you dont need a whole new barrel, are these any good?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember seeing some rifles where you can actual screw in different size chokes to the tip that way you dont need a whole new barrel, are these any good?
These are not rifles.....these are shotguns.....and yes.....they are great.

Most shotguns come with three of them.....full, modified and improved cylinder. However when you buy a used gun, often the extra chokes are not included as they were lost. They run about $30 or so to replace......assuming you can get the old one out.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

First we need some info on you. Age are you 10 or 40, sex, size, and have you ever shot a gun before. From the sounds of it that is a no or a limited time.

What you see with a screw in choke is a shotgun not a rifle. There is a diff. A shotgun shoots pellets and slugs a rifle has a metal casing with a metal normally lead or lead coated in copper. A shotgun say a 12ga is good for deer out to 100 max maybe more with a good scope and a good shooter. A rifle while it very if you have a 400 gun maybe 100 to 200 yards. 1500 gun with a good shooter maybe 500 yards.

Also what state are you in. Here in indiana you can not use a high power rifle.

If I was wanting to deer hunt I would go with the rifle. If I wanted to say rabbit hunt but also deer hunt I would go with a rifle and get a cheapo shotgun. You can get a mossberg 500 for 200 bucks that will do you for anything.
As for which rifle it depends are you in the hills of Ky or say Nc where short 100 yards or less in brush you might want a 30/30, if your in the plains out west then you might want the 30,06.

I started hunting at 19, I bought my first gun a 30 30 at a pawn shop and hunted on my own with no help(until I found this forum)

This is my 7th year and I have got close but no deer. You might do the education course to get the learning but it is also a good way to meet fellow hunters.

If your under 18 you might need an adult to go with.

Also come up with the answers to the questions I put out and a budget for a gun. you could spend $200 on a shotgun, 100 on a scope and $40 bucks on some slugs and shotshells and be good or you could spend $800 on a bolt action rifle, $400 on a scope and 2 bucks each for bullets.

Might look at a muzzleloader also mine is good out to 250 yard with my scope setup and allows me to hunt the gun and muzzleloader season which is twice the hunting time with my gun.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
First we need some info on you. Age are you 10 or 40, sex, size, and have you ever shot a gun before. From the sounds of it that is a no or a limited time.

I am 22 will be 23 in Nov.

What you see with a screw in choke is a shotgun not a rifle. There is a diff. A shotgun shoots pellets and slugs a rifle has a metal casing with a metal normally lead or lead coated in copper. A shotgun say a 12ga is good for deer out to 100 max maybe more with a good scope and a good shooter. A rifle while it very if you have a 400 gun maybe 100 to 200 yards. 1500 gun with a good shooter maybe 500 yards.

Yes my mistake I meant shot gun as that is the only type of guns that need a choke for buck shots.

Also what state are you in. Here in indiana you can not use a high power rifle.

I am in California, Near the Bay Area/ San Fransisco

If I was wanting to deer hunt I would go with the rifle. If I wanted to say rabbit hunt but also deer hunt I would go with a rifle and get a cheapo shotgun. You can get a mossberg 500 for 200 bucks that will do you for anything.
As for which rifle it depends are you in the hills of Ky or say Nc where short 100 yards or less in brush you might want a 30/30, if your in the plains out west then you might want the 30,06.

So if I was to get a shot gun I should probable try to find one with a full choke, but this would only be for rabbits turkey or ducks, or other birds correct. Not for deer with a full choke. would a 12 gauge be good or should I go 20 with this though? And I also had my sight son getting a 30-06 for the bigger game. os thanks your post helped a lot. We need more people like you in this world.

I started hunting at 19, I bought my first gun a 30 30 at a pawn shop and hunted on my own with no help(until I found this forum)

This is my 7th year and I have got close but no deer. You might do the education course to get the learning but it is also a good way to meet fellow hunters.

If your under 18 you might need an adult to go with.

Also come up with the answers to the questions I put out and a budget for a gun. you could spend $200 on a shotgun, 100 on a scope and $40 bucks on some slugs and shotshells and be good or you could spend $800 on a bolt action rifle, $400 on a scope and 2 bucks each for bullets.

Might look at a muzzleloader also mine is good out to 250 yard with my scope setup and allows me to hunt the gun and muzzleloader season which is twice the hunting time with my gun.

Yea I dont want to mess with theses, just to much for me. I will probaly only make it out once or twice a year, I live a busy life this is sorda for a side bonus for when I find a nice place to go camping or just get away. I live in the city and at heart I am a country boy.

Read in red
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always heard that a 30.06 is a great all around hunting gun. It should work great for rabbits and ducks!!

If I was going troll hunting....I might start here. Just saying...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easy fellas. Everyone was a beginner at some point.

I recommend a shotgun like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Get a combination model, which come with a barrel for shotshells and a barrel for slugs. I recommend a shot barrel with variable chokes and a rifled slug barrel with cantilever mount for a scope if you can get it. Put a decent scope on it, they can be had for around 100, and will stand up to shotgun recoil. I did see some real good scope deals at Natchez Shooting Supply (online).

With this gun you can hunt everything you are interested in. Next I recommend you read the owner's manual a couple times. Then read up on what type of hunting you want to try first, and get to the shooting range. Shoot the gun as much as possible, and if there is an instructor or range master, tell him you're just starting with firearms and wouldn't mind a little instruction if they have a few minutes, just to see that you are holding and resting the gun properly, etc.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with hunter education, it should be mandatory in cali...
i'd just fork out fer a good over/under....2 guns in 1, ya just cant be anymore efficient if your not sure what you gonna be shooting.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCgQ9QEwBQ

this gives you the best of both worlds. gl
try and find that class, it will help alot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.