Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which is the best deer rifle......

Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdhogg
buy a 721,now that was quality
The 721 was a billy club. It was heavy, the stock was poorly made, the action was smooth, but the extractor clip was it's downfall.
There was no half safety to unload the gun on the original design.

There is not too much of a difference between a 1955 - model 721 and a 1962 Model 700 - except for the fact that the stocks got better, the extractor was changed to a design which is shared with the 760 Gamemaster and there is a slight difference between the bolts.
I can't remember for sure, but I think that the locking lugs were made bigger for the model 700. A couple of minutes of machine work and the new bolt will work in the older rifle.

The barrel is definitely lighter in the model 700...

Plus the 721 never came with a factory trap door of clip which would have made it easier to unload then to take the bullets out one at a time with the bolt.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Buy a good used Rifle.

A pre 1980 Remington or Winchester.

Look at the Grice Paper and see if there is any new guns in your price range that you are interested in.

http://www.gricegunshop.com/specials...r-day-2010.pdf

A friend of mine just bought a new TC Venture - in 30-06.

The gun must weigh 9 or 10 lbs.

A very nicely made firearm that isn't going to break.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

TC Venture weight & other specs;

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 5565
Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
Action :Bolt Action
Caliber :270 Winchester
Barrel Length :24"
Capacity :3 + 1
Trigger :Adjustable
Safety :Two Position
Length :43"
Weight :7 1/2 lbs
Stock :Black Composite
Finish :Black
Old 10-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Spike

I would by pass the Edge. To stay under $500 I would go with a Savage 110, Marlin XL7, or T/C Venture. I've never shot a Marlin, but have heard nothing but great things about them. The Savage with accu-trigger is a great gun, as is the T/C Venture. While the Savage will likely give you 1 MOA accuracy, the Venture actually guarantees it. I have an older Savage 110 with a Timney trigger, a Savage 11 with accu-trigger, and a T/C Venture and they are all great shooters. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look carefully at the Savage offerings and the Marlin offerings.

Though I've never hefted either, what i've read about both in the past 2 years has me thinking they are the best bang for the buck.

If you are interested in more how they look then you'd be better off with a few others but then you'd probably get past the 500 bucks anyway.

Used is always an option. You could probably buy ALMOST anything you'd like for $500 or less if you don't mind a few cosmetic flaws from a guns experience and character building years!

Maybe a used Winchester featherweight 30/06 with a decent scope already mounted, sling, maybe a few loads ... could even be a shooter. Just be ready to accept a ding or two, a small rust smudge or two ....