Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new rifle

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Spike

Default new rifle

so... im looking for a left handed bolt action rifle in a caliber that will allow me to take deer and elk sized game at some longer ranges... and suggestions on a rifle?

as for caliber... i would like to have the long range capability, but i also want to enjoy shooting it "not to much recoil" any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a .280 Rem.You can get near or equal performance of the 7 mag. but less recoil. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

left handed bolt?.....I've been through a bunch of them trying to find the one I like the best.

Ruger - Left hand Hawkeye in either wood/blued steel OR laminate/stainless.

Remington - Model 700 CDL wood/blued steel

Browning - A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, Hunter, or Medallion (if you can still find them. They were discontinued)

Savage and Tikka - Never owned any of these, and while less expensive, are considered by many as the new standard for "out of the box" accuracy.

Caliber? Long Rang caliber without clavical stomping recoil?

I've asked way to many questions on this forum about rifles and calibers to give you an "experienced" answer, but my opinion would be something like a 7mm. Rem. Mag. I don't consider it's recoil harsh at all....others may feel differently. The .284 bullet diameter has excellent flight characteristics.
I guess "long range" is a very relative term. Long range to Ridge Runner might be 1400 yards.....to most others it might mean 300-400 yards.
In a 300-400 yard "long range" "lighter recoil" rifle, you might consider the previous posters recomendation of the .280 or even the ol' .30-06.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

What schoolcraft said +1
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd 7RM in your choice of rifle....but I'm a sucker for .284s.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Swampdog
How about a .280 Rem.You can get near or equal performance of the 7 mag. but less recoil. Just a thought.
I second the motion. ( and I'm a BIG .270 guy )

Savage is the most accurate low(er) buck LH rifle out there. ( and I'm LH and have and have had many Sav's ). But I'm sure a LH Win 70 Fwt or LH Ruger 77 or LH Rem 700 would do as well.

Good lucko n your quest.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
left handed bolt?.....I've been through a bunch of them trying to find the one I like the best.

Ruger - Left hand Hawkeye in either wood/blued steel OR laminate/stainless.

Remington - Model 700 CDL wood/blued steel

Browning - A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, Hunter, or Medallion (if you can still find them. They were discontinued)

Savage and Tikka - Never owned any of these, and while less expensive, are considered by many as the new standard for "out of the box" accuracy.

Caliber? Long Rang caliber without clavical stomping recoil?

I've asked way to many questions on this forum about rifles and calibers to give you an "experienced" answer, but my opinion would be something like a 7mm. Rem. Mag. I don't consider it's recoil harsh at all....others may feel differently. The .284 bullet diameter has excellent flight characteristics.
I guess "long range" is a very relative term. Long range to Ridge Runner might be 1400 yards.....to most others it might mean 300-400 yards.
In a 300-400 yard "long range" "lighter recoil" rifle, you might consider the previous posters recomendation of the .280 or even the ol' .30-06.
Here's a guy worth listening to.....IMO the Remington 700 in .30-06 will be a fine selection for a leftie!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

thanks everyone. all of these sound like great options. im gonna be handloading for whatever i get. does anyone know anything about the 300wsm? i was looking online at ballistics and that round with a 180 or 200 gr bullet looks promising
Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I mainly use the 300 WSM, and it is my "go to" rifle. I don't hunt elk, mainly deer and hogs with the Hornady 165 gr Interbond. A 350 - 400 lb hog as a very thick gristle plate, lots of mud and dirt along with heavy, tough bones. I get more one shot drops with the IB than any other bullet I've used.

A 165 or 180 gr Interbond, Accubond, Partition, TSX or similar bullets should work well on elk
Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

ya. the only thing im not so sure about when it comes to the 165 is the energy at 500+ yds. the 200 gr bullet for instance at 1000yds ( not sayin im gonna shoot far at an animal) but it has just shy of 1000ft lbs of energy going 2850fps at the muzzle. readin from a serria manual thats possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.