Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another eye dominace question.....

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another eye dominace question.....

My wife is new to shooting/hunting, but shows lots of interest in getting started.....so I want to start her off right.

She is right handed but left eye dominate. I'm left handed and left eye dominate, so I shoot left handed rifles.

I'm wondering since she hasn't ever learned to shoot a rifle right or left handed, if I should start working with her shooting left handed to match her eye dominance.

What do you guys think? She THINKS that it would be harder for her to shoot lefty because she does everything else right handed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Schoolcraft
Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make 'er shoot left handed. I'm left handed, right eye dominant, and shoot everything but handguns right handed.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Right handed - both eyes open
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am in the same boat as his wife does having both open make a diff
????????????
Originally Posted by Sheridan
Right handed - both eyes open
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Sheridan,

If she shoulders the rifle right handed and keeps both eyes open, won't her dominant eye (left eye) take over?
Seems like her dominant left eye would have her not looking through the scope but down the left side of the rifle.

Do I have that right? If both eyes are open and focused on one point, won't the dominant eye take over?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I'm cross dominate too. Righthanded left eyed. With a blood pressure issue having damaged my left eye I still shoot scopes and peps left handed but over the course of the last 5 years or so have become fairly able both ways with both eyes open shotgunning.

Speaking from hard expierance teach to the dominate eye 1st you'll both be happier.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is also why I do not let others shoot my guns and adjust site. I had a friend in the guard who said I will adjust it for you cause it is shooting off alittle. I spent 10 minutes telling him that it was dead on for me and he needed to just aim off alittle and no to touch the scope. Of course with iron sites this can be a issue. This is why I have been shooting my glock with each eye and with both open.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Schoolcraft,

Have your wife...

With both eyes open adjust the cross hairs to her (hopefully tight) group called "point of impact" (POI).

With both eyes open have her shoot another (tight) group and adjust the cross hairs to that group's POI.

Repeat until the POI and the bullseye is one and the same.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

shooting left handed would be the best solution by far, other things work but are a lot more difficult to master
Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Close one eye and only see half the field...................I'm out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.