Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help!!! Lefty' s and Semi' s

Old 07-01-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Help!!! Lefty' s and Semi' s

I' am left handed and shoot a right handed pump shotgun with no problems, My question is does anybody shoot a right handed remington 1187 semi- auto left handed without getting hit in the face with the empty shell ejects, cause i found a good deal on one i would like to buy, But if the shells will hit me in the face when ejected i think i will pass. Please help with some advice or opinions, Thank' s.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Help!!! Lefty' s and Semi' s

I know a few that shoot the semi shotguns (gold and 11-87) left handed. You wont get hit in the face but possibly the shoulder.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 AM

dicky do...

they have shell catchers that you can now attach to the gun. it suposedly catches the spent shell so it does not fly out. i don' t know if it better suites a single shot compared to lets says 2 or 3 shots. a friend of mine is a lefty and he found the semi to throw the casing right into his arm. but that was with my rem 1100.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
jed
Fork Horn

Depending on your stance you shouldn' t get hit in the face with hot brass, but occasionally it does happen. Remington makes a left handed semi. I can' t remember if it is the 1187 or not, but if you are in the market that may be an option to pursue. Any good gun dealer should be able to find you one
Old 07-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

South paw here & I haven' t had RH auto throw any shells in my face, shoulder and arm on occasion but usually clear. Rem does offer a Lt handed auto shotgun model: 11-87 Premier.

Good Luck
Old 07-02-2003, 09:08 PM

the shell catchers are more for trap, where the shell wont fly out and ding someones gun (which i did once before i got the catcher). It will jam the gun if a second round is fired, as the empty hull stays in the action ad has to be pulled out by hand
Old 07-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot SKS' s and .22lr rifles lefty, and the occasional AR-15 and Mini' s, I' ve never been hit in the face that I recall, I' ve ran them over my back, into my collar and what not, off my shoulder a bit, but never in my face.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:27 PM
bigcountry

No offence guys, but it must suck being a lefty in the archery/shooting world. Trades are difficult, and available must be hard. See I am left eye dominant, and it kills my bowshooting. Being right handed. I manage with rifles, and shoot left handed sometimes with pistol. But I really need to try a left handed bow. I know guys that has modified thier bows (one with his right eye shot out) so they can shoot right handed but aim with thier left eye.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

BigCountry...It does stink a little, but you just learn to deal.

I' m a lefty and shoot a right handed Rem 1100 with no problems at all. The hulls don' t hit my face or arm.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 AM

When I was little I was a lefty shooter. Bu when it came down to spending money on a new gun, I figured I would just shoot right handed, It has worked for me just fine. It took about 6 months to get used to it, but now its like second nature and I can still shoot aswell left handed. I even went to the empire state games (new yorks mini olympics) 2 times for small bore and medalled the first time. This was just a year after switching. My groups completely off-hand were about 2" at 50 yards. And prone was just a single hole about 3/8" . It just takes some time. As for the dominant eye issue, i am left eye dominant. It does not effect me at all to shoot with my right eye. The only problem that arrises is with wing shooting where a bird will take off and I have to be quick. Sometimes i forget which eye to use and i put the bead on the bird with my left eye so i miss. However this was my first season right handed upland hunting and I am sure I can change that habbit. Look at it this way, someone who has never picked up a gun will be just as bad shooter right or left handed (for arguments sake). But give them some training and they will pick it up. It was just my choice, I find it a bigger inconveinance to pay more for guns, or to shoot right handed guns lefty than it was to switch over.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Lefty' s and Semi' s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.