Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which handgun?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which handgun?

Just looking for some input on which one would be best. I'm torn between an XD or XD/M, M&P 40, or sticking with a Colt 1911 model 80 and putt a little money into that. Whatever I decide to get will be something to play around with and home protection, as well as occasionally carrying, but probably not as much. What do you think? Or am I overlooking something? I used to carry a Glock on duty, but I don't think I really want another glock.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

For home protection I really like the 45 Auto. Anybody else in the house with you?? No need for high capacity in your own home, you are not likely to spray and pray with family members in the house.

I keep my 45 Colt(revolver), and my 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt as my home protection firearms. I load my own ammunition, but I do not use reloads in my defense ammunition. I use a good factory load that I can use in both firearms.

I do have a couple of 1911's in the safe, as well as a new S&W M&P45, and I believe they would be just as effective for home protection as my 45 Colt. I just stay with the 45 Colt because I shoot the same ammo in my home protection lever action rifle. So this keeps things simple. I really like my lever action for home protection. I had the barrel chopped to 17". Short, Sweet, and FAST. Tom.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm looking at the XDM currently in 9MM...................?!?!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an XD-M 40 and love it! Great gun and very fun to shoot. It's also very accurate once you get use to shooting it. I also have a 1911 and love it too. Extremely accurate but did take some getting use to when I first started because of how much more recoil it has over the XD-M. For what you have described, I'd personally go with the XD-M. It has all the capacity you'll need and it good in all the areas you mentioned. Plus, you now have the choice of 9MM, .40, or 45 ACP.