Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Surplus -06 Ammo for Practice

Old 06-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Surplus -06 Ammo for Practice

I' m putting an after-market Timney trigger in my Ruger Mark II ' 06. I need to run some rounds through it to get used to lighter trigger pull and new scope. Not too concerned with punching cloverleafs just yet so don' t want to break the budget on high end ammo. I' ve seen attractive prices for military surplus. I' m assuming that the newer stuff is non (or at least less) corrosive than older stuff, since it' s been made to US military specs. I' d appreciate any thoughts and opinions you more experienced shooters have.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Surplus -06 Ammo for Practice

Know what what happens when you ' ass' u' me' ? Assuming surplus ammo is any different now than it was in the past has that affect. Some of it is better than others, I' ve used some of it occasionally, usually ONLY U.S. manufacture ' pre-packaged' in the 8rnd clips for Garands, it shoots alright, and it saved me having to reload the just right specs for my garand...but, if I recall correctly, those clips are $5 a piece, for 8rnds, and if I recall, I could buy winchester super-x ammunition for less per round, sometimes $9 per 20box (although I didn' t get the clips too, but not like I' m short on those!).

In a ruger, you' re not soiling a fine arm with crap like the typical surplus ammo question--' surplus ammo in a ar-15' or ' surplus ammo in a $800 bull bbl' . So it' s not that bad to shoot the surplus stuff in your ruger, just be sure to clean it well within a few hours after shooting, which should be a regular practice regardless.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you use only U.S. GI ammo, make sure it is headstamped after 1958 or so, and it will be noncorrosive. If it is not U.S. made, then you cannotassume it is noncorrosive, despite what the vendor may say. In such a case, you need to clean with HOT WATER, which is the only proven way to ensure the removal of corrosive primer deposits. Persoally, I would avoid using GI surplus in this rifle. Do as nomercy suggests, and buy some of the low-cost, GI-type ammo made here by the commercial firms.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 AM

i accumulated several hundred rounds of 30-06 150gr fmj over the years and only use them for coyote or to get on the paper before sighting in a new scope.i would not recommend target shooting with them as already mentioned.