Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

like your opinions

Old 06-29-2003, 12:14 PM

Default like your opinions

purchased a CZ VZ24 rifle in 8X57 this morning.has a bishop stock with a simmons 3-9X40mm scope on it. gun looks to have the blueing done . unless it comes like it. ( has a matte finish on it like a leupold scope ). also has a 24" barrel. got it for $250.00
Old 06-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: like your opinions

which 8x57 round is it buddy the mauser , the rimmed , the jrs ?? i' m not familiar with that specific rifle but if i' m right aren' t they the cz rifles that are made out of i think czeckoslovakia ( butchered that word [&:] ) , or turkey ??? , if it' s them aren' t they mauser actions , cause i know they' re beautiful rifles if it is them
Old 06-29-2003, 04:23 PM

it is a 8mm mauser made in ceck,BRNO.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

sounds pretty good to me for that price , i used to have a sporterized mauser military rifle in that caliber and i know that there are some pretty potent shells made for it in a 196 grain i believe it is loading , it' s made by norma , and by hansen cartridge company , i had the hansens but , i gave them to my grandfather when i sold that rifle ( kicking myself on that one yet ) , i can get you more details on those shells if you would like me too, they really spuce the old round up but , not enough for anything really big. let me know pal
Old 06-30-2003, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch[]
did they at least bend the bolt and do a good job on the blueing?
You can pick up a military vz-24 for about $75. If its any consolation, Vz-24' s ar ereally well made rifles-CZ did make some of the finest model 98 rifles. If it looks nice, it shoots nice, and you like it, its probably not too bad of a deal for you.

It is the standard 8x57 JS round its chambered for.

For ammo, I would shun the remington or winchester crap- its loaded to specs about equalling the 30-30. Order some sellier and bellot ammo or even some of the more expensive stuff from Mitchell' s mausers- its loaded to what an 8mm is capable of. Better yet, the best 8mm ammo comes from reloads

If you want to practice for very cheap- get your hands of some turkish surplus- usually can be found in some sporting goods stores for $5-10 for a 70 rd bandolier, or order some of the better romanian surplus 8mm for about the same price. You won' t get the best accuracy, especially with the turk ammo, but you will be able to make milk jugs explode in a spectacular manner out to fairly long distances. Make sure you clean the bore with windex immediately after a range session, followed by a regular cleaning at home.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:35 AM

briman.

the gun looks in excelent condition. never heard of a bishop stock before. the blueing is great condition. the bolt is bent really good as well. who ever did it sporterized it knowing what he was doing. rifle is still a bit heavy but will do. depending on accuracy i might take it into the deer woods this year acouple times.the first thing i will do is put a timney trigger on it since it has some creep. i can pull the trigger to a point and it won' t go off. never had a trigger like that before.
also are all mauser rifle have a tappered barrel? it seems to go in teirs not like a hunting rifle where it is all one size.

also arn' t the surplus bandoliers corosive?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

most military mausers have a stepped barrel- its a larger diameter, then steps down to a smaller diameter at least once depending on the length.

The ' creep' you feel is the take-up stage of the two stage trigger. Its a safety feature which will not hinder the rifle' s shooting ability if it is honed correctly. Ideally you would want about 3-4 lbs on the takeup stage, the trigger should stop and any further movement will set it off. You can actually have the second stage honed so that it breaks at 2 lbs or even less and you still won' t have an unsafe trigger for carrying in the field. It takes some getting used to- I prefer a good 2 stage to a single stage, but most people are used to single stage triggers.

The bandolier stuff is corrosive, but won' t hurt your rifle if you run a few windex soaked patches down the barrel right after shooting it.

If they did a good job of sporterizing, then it doesn' t sound like you got a bad deal.[8D]
Old 06-30-2003, 02:05 PM

$250.00 would seem on the high side. What' s the barrel look like inside? Some of those have fairly rough bores.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

hmmm , doesn' t sound like one of the rifles i' ve seen , as they had tapered barrels , not stepped down barrels. sorry about that bud
Old 06-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

If you are not happy with that 2-stage trigger, Timney makes replacement trigger that will fit Mausers. Cabela' s use to have them in stock.

Quick Reply: like your opinions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.