Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady Light Magnum cartridges - as good as they seem?

Old 06-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady Light Magnum cartridges - as good as they seem?

Bigcountry:

I believe Weatherby uses Norma MRP-1, 201, and 204. Using Norma Powders one can match Weatherby' s Ballistics (I have been doing it since 1995). (They might use MRP-2 for .30-338 Wby. Mag., and for the .338-378 Wby. Mag. but I am not positive). I asked a Weatherby Tech. at the Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation Camp in Reno, and he reluctantly confirmed my suspicions about Norma MRP-1, 201, 204. Good Shooting!!
Old 07-01-2003, 05:35 AM
ewc

Bigcountry-
4-6 entrance wounds. Looked like it had been shot with buckshot and no exit wound.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:50 AM
bigcountry

Wow, ewc. Thats something. I guess there is a first time for everything. You were the guy that saw it. But I don' t think a bullet can just fragment in mid air.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was using a standard 7 rem mag load with their 162 btsp and this is a terrible bullet not to be used on any game except varmints...Shot a Mulie and Elk on one trip and that was what I was using...bullet shed its jacket inside the deer when hitting bone shot distance 300 yards deer died instantly but no BG bullet should shed its jacket . Bullet also performed poorly on a broadside shot on an medium size Bull Elk at 75 yards ...he was shot a couple of times and we found bullet fragments everywhere. The same rule does not apply to their flatbase bullets which are reliable but not those BTSP' s
Old 07-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to see the bullets fragment in the air to believe it.If they did the fragments would lose velocity so fast that it is unlikely that they would penetrate enough to kill a deer if they managed to even strike the deer which is almost as unlikely as the fragments would be very unstable.It is far more likely that the bullet came apart at impact.I have seen wounds like those you describe when a bear was struck in the shoulder at an angle and the bullet fragmented leaving several wounds close together that could be mistaken for multiple entrance wounds.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:00 AM
ewc

stubblejumper-
You are probably right about the bullet fragmenting upon impact. The 4-6 entrance wounds made it appear to have disentegrated before impact, but I agree that is probably not likely. Anyway, I had a such poor experience with this bullet (10 times) that I quit with the light mags and went back to the fed premiums since then.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 PM

My bad i was talking about the Hornady custom ammo, well i think thats what its called........put it this way its the grey or brown box not the red...........lol

Been awhile since i used em but i think they ere called Custom Ammo.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:05 PM

Yep, it' s still on the site (www.hornady.com)... interesting about the Custom Ammo, they' re offering ' handloading velocity and accuracy.' Did you ever write the company? I can' t imagine the bullets having that kind of inconsistency and them still making it (and making money off of it).

ps - Grey and black box, yeah.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

i don' t normally like to get into discussions about ammo but , i use light mags in my savage 111 and her accuracy is pretty good but , like i said in my other post . she is a savage bolt action , but i don' t have any pressure data on her , all i know is that she gives me at 100 yrds. 1 3/8 " to 1 3/4 " groups , which i think is pretty good considering how often i don' t get to shoot her , how high are the pressues going in your rifles , i read a post about that earlier in this posting from dep214 about getting hot loaded shells ,
if that' s a common problem with others then i think it would be wise to go to another brand , i like my rifle to much to damage her
Old 07-02-2003, 09:58 PM
XTP

You must have bought a bad batch of ammo or something.I would definately write to Hornady.I have been using the 140 btsp in the Custom line(not the mags) and one deer I shot at about 150 yards,the bullet centered the leg bone just below the shoulder,went through a rib,both lungs,another rib,the far side leg muscle and lodged in the hide on that leg.That bullet expanded perfectly and held together.

I' m thinking of trying the 150 gr SST this year....anybody have any experiance with these??.....How do they compare to the Nosler BT?

Quick Reply: Hornady Light Magnum cartridges - as good as they seem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.