Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Appleseed Project?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Appleseed Project?

Anybody here ever go to one of these?

http://appleseedinfo.org/

I've heard some really good things about it and I'll be going to my first one this weekend.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Soooo... I'm guessing you guys haven't heard of it?

Here are pictures from my weekend at the Appleseed shoot. It rained and rained, then it was hot. So we got wet, muddy, sweaty and had a ball.

Kendall, myself, Joanne and Dave

George Washington's squadron flag.

Shooting prone.

Sitting.

More sitting. (this one was easy for me because I just crossed my legs, leaned over and shot like I was in a funky prone position.)

This was my side of the line. We were packed together pretty tightly. You're supposed to be laying at a 30 degree angle to the target. I'm a lefty so I was muzzle to muzzle with the guy on my left and playing footsie with the guy to my right. This is also why I wore longsleeves. On Saturday I got several burns from hot brass sticking to my bare arms.

Standing before the sitting or prone position. Having to move around and change magazines in a short amount of time made it very challenging.

Psst.. Kendall, your foot is pointed wrong.

Dave shooting prone.

There were six of us (out of 40 shooters) that got our Rifleman patches. (one guy missing in the pic) It takes most people a couple of shoots to get a qualifying score. I got two qualifiers back to back. Woot.. go me. (you call it lucky.. I call it good. LOL. )

Here's what the scoring targets look like. (the paper, not the guy )

I highly recommend going to one of these shoots. They mix telling the history of the start of the American Revolution with the shooting. It's very interesting and inspiring.

From their website:

Why should you come?

Well, for one thing, to see what this Appleseed stuff is all about. To find out why one well-known gun writer who was there said, "this is going to be the next big thing that nobody saw coming."

Another reason...
To learn to shoot a rifle — to learn to shoot it just as well as your forefathers.

Another reason...
To hear The Story that every American should hear. About how your forebears took up arms, on the first day of the American Revolution, and did things no other people in the world have ever done. To learn things you don't learn in school, about that day. About where the Revolution really started — it did not start in Lexington, nor did it start in Concord. According to John Adams, it was over before it started. Be there to hear The Story, because to hear it is to remember what they did, that day. And to remember, is to honor them for doing it.

Another reason...
To gather new hope for the future. To see Americans — volunteer Americans — not sitting around complaining: no sir, out doing something about it — like saving their country, one person at a time.

http://appleseedinfo.org/
Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Spike

Yeah....I've heard of The Appleseed Project. Went to my first one in May, 2009....my biggest mistake was being next to a 13 yr old girl on the line. She actually LISTENED to the instructors, and shot pretty well....I, with about 40 yrs of experience, sucked.

Unlike Christine, it took me 3 Appleseeds to finally qualify Rifleman ("Expert"). Then I took the IIT (Instructor in Training) orange hat, and just received my "Red Hat" (Instructor).

Seriously though, if you want to learn to shoot your rifle accurately without sandbags, bipods, etc., Appleseed is the best and least expensive way to go.

Our goal is for you to be able to hit a 20" target at 500 yards.....and get off the couch and be a better citizen. What could be better than that?! For you long distance shooters, we DO have Known Distance ranges out to 800-1000 yards at some locations. We're still working on that in Kansas, but we'll get there. Hunting season(s) are coming up....Appleseed is a GREAT way to prepare that rusty trigger finger!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

BTW....nice pics Christine! Looks like everyone had a good time...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very Cool. I have never heard of it. I like the use of the old campaign signs for targets. It looks like Dennis Hastert is a supporter of the Appleseed Project.

C. Davis
Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

The signs were bi-partisan. The Quinn sign was very popular.

Congrats on the Red hat 4bfox!

Are you going to the Sept 11th, Waterman 300? I'm signed up for it.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mentioned shoots in KS, what's a typical course of fire for these matches? And what weapons are allowed? The pics look like a bunch of 22 long rifles?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Spike

Christine.....nope, can't get off for the Waterman...sounds like a hoot, though.

Nomercy448....a lot of people shoot .22s, since the ammo is a LOT cheaper, and the training works well with rimfires. You are welcome to use centerfire...some folks shoot them both days, or shoot rimfire on Saturday, centerfire on Sunday. Mainly marksmanship training on Saturday, and a lot of AQTs on Sunday, history on both days, of course. If you haven't done an Appleseed, you REALLY need both days. You'll need 400-500 rounds for both days.

Go to our site for more info:

http://appleseedinfo.org

The site has what you need to bring, registration links, etc.

Shoots in Kansas this month: Eureka, next weekend (Sept 11-12), Oxford on Sept 25-26.