Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

20 gauge slugs

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default 20 gauge slugs

My son who is 13 and will be shooting a fully rifiled slug barrel
thisyear in a 20 gauge mossberg youth model. We need a slug that will shoot fairley accurate out to a 100 yrds,with out a
lot of recoil.I shoot the winchester partition gold nice round but a little stout for him yet. I was thinking about the winchester xbri sabots they have less recoil then the partition golds, they need to be accurate out to a 100 yrds. any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfields seems to work well in many shotguns, but then you should try a few brands, also most ammo makers make a low recoil slug
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

I would look into the Federal Vital-Shok Barnes Expander Sabot Slug, 2-3/4" Shell, 5/8 oz., 1600 fps. My buddy's 9 year old shoots light's out with them. Don't get the Tipped expander, those are 1900 fps and pack a punch.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington makes their Buck Hammers in reduced recoil loads.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys. My 11 year old son will be shooting a 20ga Mossberg with rifled slug barrel this year too and I was going to ask this same question soon.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

I would go for some of the hornaday bullistic tip slugs. Unfortnately what doesn't kick one person may knock the crap out of another. My suggestion is actually not to waste your money and but a muzzleloader so you can custom make a load. If thats not an option then I'd go with the hornaday or switch back to a smooth bore and use some benneke slugs.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

My son has been hunting with a .50 muzzle loader for two years now, since he was nine. He will be shooting a 20ga slug gun some this year. Most people are shocked that my son has hunted with and killed his first deer with a ML, but it is a really good starter gun for deer hunting for just the reason you stated. We were able to customize a load for him that didn't kick hard but would get the job done out to 75 yards. I would also recommend a ML as a starter deer gun for any youngster. Only draw back to it is they are usually pretty heavy to lug around for them, but it will build alot of character.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd not worry much, as long as it shoots straight..
Old 05-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

i use the 20 gauge Winchester Partition Gold slugs on hogs and they do a really good job. Two of those hogs went well over 300 pounds: Both bang flopped at the first shot.

For a lighter recoiling slug try the Winchester Platinum Tip sabot slugs. This bullet also weighs 260 grains but the velocity is down by 200 fps. The Platinum Tips have worked well on hogs for me too.

Last edited by falcon; 05-16-2010 at 03:35 AM.