Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help- Remington 11-48 autoloading shotgun

Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default Need help- Remington 11-48 autoloading shotgun

I have a Remington 11-48 Autoloading 20 gauge shotgun.

http://www.remington.com/products/ar...del-11-48.aspx

It is shooting 20 inches high and to the right at 30 yards.
I have to aim 20 inches low and to the left at 30 yards to dead center. I've patterned it on 4X4 sheets of cardboard.
I've tried 4 different kinds of shells(#5's and #6's).

What could be casuing this?

Is it possible the orginal choke is messed up?
Where could I find a choke for it? I've searched and searched on the net, but have not found one. The choke screws on top of the barrel(threads are inside the choke and the threads on top of the barrel), most I find screw into the barrel(threads are on top of choke).
Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have what was the cat's meow at the time as far as adjustable chokes .... a "poly choke". Without looking at the shotgun and choke you have I cannot be certain, but it may be that the poly-choke is canted somehow just enough to throw the pattern off that far or the front bead sight is the culprit. Every poly-choke I have ever seen has a "tulip" design that restricts as the choke is screwed tighter. If this is the case, take a look at the tulip's "petals". One might be bent or there might be shot cup debris in between the spaces. That might be the problem. If none of this is the case, I give up! The 11-48 has not yet reached collector status unless it is a special issue with prime wood and in .410 or 28 ga. Unless you have some strong reason not to, I'd suggest you take the shotgun to a gunsmith and have the poly-choke removed and the barrel threaded to accept modern choke tubes. This will probably cost 50% of what the gun is worth now, but if the gun is in great shape all around, then you'll end up with a far more versatile shotgun.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Have someone else shoot it to make sure that its not you.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Spike

I have removed the coke, and cleaned it. It just screws off.
Looks like the choke has some kind of compression ring int it for some reason?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 for Mojotex. Sounds like a sloppy installation of the polychoke to me. That compression ring acts like the collate on a drill chuck. Rotating the body of the choke causes the compression ring to tighten or loosen the choke. My guess is if you had it reinstalled or just removed and the barrel threaded for choke tubes, either by an experienced smith, the problem would go away. By that time, however, you might just think about picking up a newer used gun with a 3" chamber and already threaded barrel.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Spike

I can not be certain but I believe the choke is after market
When you take the choke off, the barrel is flanged underneath the choke.

Last edited by green okie; 04-10-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first repeating shotgun was a Rem 11-48 in 16 gauge...They are a good old gun... Too bad yours doesn't shoot straight..

I agree that the faulty point of aim is probably due to poor installation of the poly choke...

Perhaps a gunsmith could re-install it and fix the problem, or as a previous poster suggested, he might be able to cut off the choke and rethread the barrel for screw in choke tubes..

Another remedy would be to look for an extra barrel on gunbroker.com or elsewhere... There were LOTS of 11-48s made over the years and you may get a good deal on an extra barrel...
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

If it's not a Poly, make sure you don't have a Cutts Compensator without a choke tube attached.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point Mongo.. I believe that some Remingtons were available with Cutts Compensators factory installed..I don't believe that Polychokes were ever factory installed by Remington, although you could get an adjustable tube for the Cutts that worked similar to a polychoke.. I know..I had an 11-48 in 28 gauge that had one...