Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Teething Problems

Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Spike

Unhappy Teething Problems

hi im new to this hunting scene but im already having lots of trouble its not as easy as i first thought ive got a benelli m2 3" 12g auto and im planning on going to scotland in september ive been told that the geese fly so high up there that i need full choke and im only allowed to shoot steel but on my choke it says NO STEEL im confused what do i do??? ive been told i can buy aftermarket "Full" chokes that can take steel but i dont know where from, what to look for (material etc...) or even if i need them i dont even know what steel cartridges are best for geese shot size grains etc... aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

this probably sounds so simple for alot of you out there but remember im new to this so ANY help will be much appreciated

thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Daniel, you don't want to shoot steel through that choke that has written on it "NO STEEL", because it may cause damage to your shotgun. If you can buy/order from Cabela's.com, then you can get choke's that are steel specific, and you can shoot lead, steel, or any of the alternative shots through them.
Which shot to use really does depend on your billfold, because I'd suggest using the alternative to steel shells that have tungsten/heavy shot. IF you can use them and afford them, then you can drop down in size in shot, when compared to steel
For instance, for pass shooting geese at long range, you'd probably want to use T shot steel but you can drop down to maybe BB or B shot or even 2 shot in tungsten or heavy shot. Reason being that steel looses it's velocity quicker because it's not as dense as heavy shot and it just doesn't penetrate as well as heavy shot.
Since your gun can use 3" shells, stick with them for your waterfowl hunting. Brand of shell really doesn't matter.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

thanks for the help il be looking in to this type of cartridge and it looks like im going to be doing some choke shopping better to start looking now and not last minuite

cheers
Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure that the choke you buy is for your Benelli. The choke you'll be looking for will fit Benelli and Beratta shotguns.