Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WSM or SAUM????

Old 06-21-2003, 12:27 AM

Default RE: WSM or SAUM????

The 7mm WSM falls between the .280 Rem and the 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm SAUM is just behind the 7mm WSM.

Look at a reloading manual and you will see that there is not a lot of differeance between the .280 Rem and 7mm Mag.

If we are basing the need for 7mm WSM on because it fits in a short action, albeit a modified one. Then Winchester should have brought back the .284 Win and had a slightly longer magazine that custom gun makers use for this round.

I hate to say it, because the .284 bullet is so legendary, but it seems that we are starting to have too many 7mm cartridges and some will have to go away.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

Nomercy, I am not a engineer major anymore because I have already done that 12 years ago also finishing my BS, and MS, and been in the real engineering world in that time period. So I also am a student of dynamics, and thermodynamics but use it everyday in the real world. But really all of that doesn' t matter here, because Most of the people I bet on this page doesn' t need most . of the guns they got. Including me. But as a person on another page said best, Life isn' t about needs. Particularly not YOUR needs.

Reason, I mention my background also, was I do understand where your coming from. When I was in College in WVU, I was broker than a hammer, but always got my 2 or 3 deer with my bow, and one with my good ole 270. So money was extremely important to me. Thats right, the price difference between regular 270 brass, and 7mmWSM brass would have been a big decision in me buying one gun or another. I couldn' t afford a gun if I wanted one. But thanks the good Lord, I have been fortuneate, beside that ex wife of mine, to be able to afford some more elaborate calibers and bunch more of them. I was thinking while in college, boy, when I finally do get out to the real world, I am going to have one of everything. I have had a fasination with shooting and guns since I was a little boy. Since then I toned that down a bit putting my attention more on other things like home upgrades, boats, etc. But still love guns.

I won' t go deer hunting with anything but my slug gun in required areas, or my 270, or my new 308win medallion now. But will take the RUM when going Moose hunting, or anything super long range.

So yea, I want one just because I am bored with regular calibers. And I love shooting/reloading more than hunting, believe it or not. One day, I hope you get ya a great job in the engineering field and don' t worry so much about paying that extra 10cents a round for powder or whatever for brass. I bet in the future that stuff will be miniscule compared to the alimony payments and the once a week disaster like water heaters going up, or sink holes in the yard. Good luck in your studies, and good luck with Thermodynamics. That @#$#% course about killed me. One thing that sticks out in my head about Engineering school.

Old 06-21-2003, 02:50 PM

I like the .270 WSM the best!! If I was going to get the .300 I would stick with the Win Mag, not enough diffrence to move up to the WSM in the .300.

The only 7Mag I like in the ultra mag' s is the Remington 7mm Ultra Mag, otherwise if you dont use this get the 7mmRem Mag....
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

10 years on and I am still a fan. SAUM. Although ammo brass is hard to find.