Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WSM or SAUM????

Old 06-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WSM or SAUM????

Hype on both accounts, nothing more.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

Oh, in the name of anything holy, can we quit it with this hype stuff. It gets old guys. What do you do you want out of a gun????????????????? We know its velocity, we know its dimensions, we know its trajectory. You take it, you fire, you hit something. Can we give it a rest for a week? Let people take the data and make up thier own mind.

Alacrity, got a good freind in Red Deer, Doug McDonald, you know em? Got a farm out there, he says. Figured it was a small enough place to know everybody.

Old 06-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Less shoulder on the SAUM.
Does it feed better?
This is important in short action.
Anyone compared the two
Old 06-20-2003, 02:37 PM

Bigcountry, nope, haven' t met the guy.

Al
Old 06-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Woodseye: This is where I got my figures.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
Old 06-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hype is a bit overused at this site..everything but a 30/30 seems to be hyped by someone or another.

Tim, I had 2 300 wsm' s an a-bolt and a Model 70 SS out of the 2 the A bolt fed better and the model 70 was not the smoothest feeder. One of the knocks against ackley cartridges are the angles on those things and the same rules apply to a fat cartridge that has a steep shoulder angle like the WSM' s have. On the other hand you would be hard pressed to find a less finnicky round to reload for and everyone I have seen as well as others at the gun club all shoot well, no complaints in that department .
Old 06-20-2003, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let people take the data and make up thier own mind.
Fine, then for once let' s have some honest data. Let' s see why these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread on there own merits and not have some company ad exec pulling number out of his ass. Lets see how they stack up without underloading the " long" magnum cartridges. We won' t because Elvis has that data and is only sharing it with bigfoot.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:18 PM
bigcountry

Frizzellr, every gun is different. My best friend shoots a 300WM 165gr bullistic tip with Re22 and gets 3400fps with great accuracy. Is that normal, no, but he loads it way out. Got another friend that shoots WSM 180gr at 3200fps. Is this normal, no. But his primers aint' flat, and no signs of pressure signs. I don' t think for alot of us, its about the speed. I think most of us on here don' t care much about the speeds. But more with accuracy. I do notice when chronoing, the WSM, his have very consistent velocitys compared to my RUM. Very low Std Dev. Does that mean it burns more effietly? Maybe, maybe not. I haven' t seen by anyone thier load data that is that much far off from Hodgeson' s, or Noslers published data. Besides these cases above. As far as factory ammo, couldn' t tell ya, and really don' t care much.

I have asked several times for you findings or loads/velocitys. Not what you read, but yours, and haven' t seen it yet. Share your findings.

Old 06-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry, this is a lot like, heck, just like the 7mm mag thing a while back.

Bottom line, if you' re picking between a 7mm rem mag and a 7mmSAUM/WSM, you' re only hurting yourself to get the WSM/SAUM. If you don' t reload, factory ammo is MUCH more expensive, usually 50-75cents more per box for the same loading, if you do reload brass is more expensive, it eats more powder, and brass life is lessened because of increased internal pressure, and either way, the WSM/SAUM kicks harder to do the same job.

I don' t mean to say a person shouldn' t buy it at all, it' s a great round and it is always great to see new things brought to the table, but it' s when people go replacing guns or opting for the WSM' s instead of say a 7mm rem mag or instead of a .300win mag JUST BECAUSE it is ' more powerful' , then I get a little bothered by all the hype. People are so caught up on everything being new, and being stronger, faster, bigger, they sometimes forget that they just don' t need it and that 100fps more on 3300fps isn' t much of a change. Like I said about the 7mm mags in general, they aren' t as efficient at hunting as say a .30-06, you get the same range and same game capabilities, but the 7mm makes you pay for it more in recoil, for no reason, I know it has to kick harder to produce more energy, I' m a physics major (Chem. Eng. and Physics double major actually), but why do I need my gun to kick harder just to kill a deer at 200yrds. You should never be undergunned, but there' s no reason to make yourself be overgunned either.

If you just want a WSM/SAUM because you want something new, and it' s what you have a taste for, then I' d get the WSM, because as others have mentioned, I' ve yet to see a gun chambered for the SAUM and have only once EVER seen a single loading of SAUM, which was sitting beside 5-7 WSM loadings, they just aren' t taking off, everyone thought of them as copy-cats when they released them, and no-one picked them up, it was quickly and painfully obvious that they just wanted a piece of the action and didn' t want left behind, they released the loading within the next year, and weren' t able to increase the performance.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:46 PM

I bought my 300WSM not because of " hype" or because its the newest whizzum, but because it did something the other 300mags just couldn' t do.................fit in a nice little short action rifle that I liked.It has fed faultlessly,been very accurate,ammo has been available at Wally World for $19.95@ box,and it had a 24" barrel.Yes...........I admit it was an ugly ol' Savage but hey the most feed problems I' ve seen on the forums concerning short mags has been with earlier winchester and remington rifles and its only been with a couple rifles.I have zero complaints so far and like my short mag a lot,I would however consider that Remington is in this game albeit a little later than Winchester and will no doubt make and chamber the SAUM' s for a good spell even if they are never as popular as the WSM' s.I do believe the guys that are dismissing them as marketing hype have to realise that they are selling well and aren' t going anywhere but in a lot of gun cabinets.Remember all the dire predictions about the 7mm Remington magnum and its one of the top used calibers now and how about the belted 300Winchester(it will never last!)? They' ve been like a shot of geritol in the ailing shooting industries arm at a time when nothing new was even on the horizon and it needed the renewed interest.

woods

Quick Reply: WSM or SAUM????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.