Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wood or Synthetic?

Old 06-19-2003, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Wood or Synthetic?

I perfer wood or laminate, synthetic stocks are ugly
Old 06-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the synthetic stocks to hunt with because of the weather we have here. I still have quite a few wood stocks ,but just not on my hunting rifles . When synthetics first started showing up I thought they were terrible but over time I find them to be very practical for the type of terrain I hunt in . Pretty just don' t cut it .
Old 06-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frizzellr, I was looking at Richards Micro fit website the other day and they have some nice looking classic stocks that are laminated. How well do they match the barrel contours on Factory guns and what do you figure they weigh?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my hunting rifles I prefer synthetic, for my varmint guns I like the extra weight that a laminate stock provides. The only drawback to the lightweight syn' s is that you have to weight the stock down to reduce felt recoil in anything bigger than the 30-06. Not much of a problem though since my .307 and 257 Roberts became the primary deer guns. Wood and laminate are nice but when you start lugging up/down hills, it gets heavy real quick.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:51 PM

I synthetic, the better ones are not really synthetic, the McMillin stocks are real nice,

Here is a pic of the only Laminated stock I have left on a gun, it is from Boyds.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with several others here. For my hunting rifles I prefer Synthetic stocks.Granted they are not as nice looking as wood or Laminated stocks.The synthetic' s withstand the weather elements much better. Cold, moisture,heat has no effect on them.For displaying your guns the wood are much nicer to look at. For shooting at the range wooden stocks are fine. For hard hunting in different weather conditions you can' t beat a synthetic stock.There are different grades of these Synthetic stocks and can get expensive.For factory synthetic stocks my Rem 700 ADL and Ruger All Weather have decent stocks.They also look good with a S/S barrel
Ruger Redhawk
Old 06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last 4 guns I have bought are synthetic. Love them all. I view guns as tools though, and really don' t care about how they look. Most people don' t like the looks of my framing hammer either
Old 06-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter, the stocks fit as well as you make them fit really. The channels are left a little tight so you can give them a custom fit. I free float all mine. They are all made for factory contours though except when otherwise noted. I guess depending on the design they are about a pound heavier than synthetic. I prefer a heavier gun to steady my shot.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

DG, I use a satin oil finish on mine too. They sure look good after they are finished. I just finished a camo thumbhole and I really enjoy it. I also finished a rollover for my 300 last year. Took alot of the bite out of that beast. That cheap Savage synthetic stock was way too light. Which styles have you used?

Quick Reply: Wood or Synthetic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.