Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what scope??

Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Spaniel,

Explain this to me again.

I don’t know what I’m talking about, because I referenced these legends, and you are now one of the “new” names I will find listed in the annals of history going forward.

Do I have that right ?

Or these guys just didn't have rangefinders ?

This is not a criticism of you, just the way you present your points.
You reference "chuck hawks", himself quite ignorant to long range shooting in that he references how MPBR is not greatly extended with magnum cartridges and therefore concluding long range shooting is not greatly improved with these cartridges. This completely ignores the fundamentaly ballistic performance advantages seen at long range when appropriately educated on long range ballistics and drop compensation techniques that make the simplistic reliance on MPBR calculations obsolete.

These OLD TIME legends did not have access to tactical-style scopes, laser rangefinders, electronic windmeters, and PDAs loaded with ballistic software, all of which are fielded by long range shooters today. When you are shooting 700 yards you must know within 10-15 yds of the correct range or your drop error will cause a bad shot. In their day, they lacked the tools to adequately judge range for 700 yd shots. We don't today. They also lacked many of the wonderful long range cartridges we have today. So to cite them as examples is completely ignorant.

You don't know what you are talking about because you overlook all of these above points and reference google searches as your only knowledge of long range shooting. People here such as RR, myself and others have taken the time to learn about it and practice it before running our mouths and telling others whether they should or should not be thinking about it, or what equipment is needed to do it right.

Access to a search engine is not a substitute for real learning and experience. Every one of us is ignorant about certain topics, and it is wise to recognize this and stick to talking about the ones you know, and sitting back, being open and learning about the ones you don't.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Google long range hunting RR"

So I did..................not because I needed to; just so I wouldn’t be so ignorant, remember.

So, to go hunting now, you need; “tactical-style scopes, laser rangefinders, electronic windmeters, and PDAs loaded with ballistic software”

BTW – I could have gotten the same type of response from Relentless, so again my suggestion was just to your presentation.

Last reply from me on the subject…………………….no worries.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"Google long range hunting RR"

So I did..................not because I needed to; just so I wouldn’t be so ignorant, remember.

So, to go hunting now, you need; “tactical-style scopes, laser rangefinders, electronic windmeters, and PDAs loaded with ballistic software”

BTW – I could have gotten the same type of response from Relentless, so again my suggestion was just to your presentation.

Last reply from me on the subject…………………….no worries.
You don't NEED it to go hunting, but you need it if you are going to reliably and ethically hunt to 700 yards.

Nobody is being purposelessly mean to you like Relentless Pursuit. But when you are going to criticize people who know their stuff with google searches and knowing nothing on the subject yourself, you should expect to get some push-back.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Oh give it a rest; there are hunters out there that shouldn't be making 100 yard shots. Who is it to judge someone how far of a shot he or she can make comfortably. To some 700, 800, 900 or more yards can be a comfortable shot to others if they hit a pie plate 3 out of 4 shots at a 100 yards they're happy, great for them. This post started as what would be a good scope choice for a 700 yard shot, that guy wasn't asking to get bashed for something he wants to learn how to do. If you don't want to shoot that far then just don't do it, but don't criticize someone that wants to learn. Fishead, if you live in Central PA and want to shoot some long range go to Mifflin County Sportsman’s Club. Bring lots of ammo and start shooting. You can hang paper out to 500 yards on club backers at 100 yard increments; shoot steel at 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. There are also backers at a 1,000 to hang targets. Let me know if you want to go and I’ll bring some toys.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Getting my post count up ??? You're kidding right !

And I have NEVER criticized anyone !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Spike

I'll answer your question instead of cutting you down. Zeiss conquest and dont look back. In my opinion, the conquest is the best scope under $1000. I have one on a 375 ruger and I absolutly love it. Some of the best optics I've seen. Also maybe take a look at the nikon monarch. Have one on a tactical 308 and it works very well.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to emphasize, if you are shooting to 700 yards you need either tatical-style turrets or a BDC reticle. A mil-dot one will do in a pinch but a BDC that is ROUGHLY calibrated to your cartridge is better. I suggest dialing to take out all guesswork but that's just me.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ridge Runner,

“you may not believe it, doesn't matter to me if ya do or not but 700+ yard kills on game are not only realistic but common, not everyone is limited to pistol calibers for big game hunting”

You're sounding more and more like Relentless, who was also childish and full of himself !

There, now I criticized someone……………….and one more thing;

Spaniel : here are some of your niceties;

Now ask people with real experience, you don't understand the ballistics, routine for others, It is simply ignorant, sit back and LEARN, before you try to comment on such things, quite ignorant, completely ignorant, You don't know what you are talking about, as your only knowledge, before running our mouths, not a substitute for real learning and experience, stick to talking about the ones you know, learning about the ones you don't, knowing nothing on the subject yourself

“Nobody is being purposelessly mean”, I know you are just a swell guy trying to be kind and helpful !

Whatever happened to humility ?

Oh yea, + 1 for a BDC reticle (I have it on all my scopes).

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-26-2010 at 08:25 PM.