Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Price for a savage model 99 in 30-30?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Spike

Default Price for a savage model 99 in 30-30?

Im looking to buy a savage model 99 in 30-30 caliber from a friend. I'm not sure what to offer him for it. it is in 80 % condition. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by berks/clintonbowhunter13
Im looking to buy a savage model 99 in 30-30 caliber from a friend. I'm not sure what to offer him for it. it is in 80 % condition. Any suggestions?

I recently saw several Savage 99's at local gun shows in about the condition you describe. They were tagged at around $475. Do you know it's year and model? There are several ways to get the year of production from the serial number on the Internet.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

Well im not totally sure how old it is, but i know it has an octogonal barrel. so i think its relatively old/rare. idk.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by berks/clintonbowhunter13
Well im not totally sure how old it is, but i know it has an octogonal barrel. so i think its relatively old/rare. idk.
If it is an original and not a commemorative model, I'd say it's more of a collector than a shooter.....
Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope the receiver has not been drilled and tapped for a scope. Also look for cracks in the stock at the tang. Another somewhat common way to reduce the value would be adding a recoil pad and shortening the stock.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just went to a gun show today, in the whole building, I found 3 Savage 99's! Two were about 750 and the third was 699. At best, these were 80% condition.
The Savage 99 has become a rare collectors item down here! The last gun show that I went to last year, I found only one 99 in the building! It was a 30/30 at about 80% condition. The asking price was about 650! I will not give close to these prices for a Savage 99!
One word of caution: there are several models and grades of the Savage 99, and they were made up into the 1970-80's! There are big price differences between these rifles, so be careful and do your homework!
IMO, the Savage 99 in 30/30, defeats the 99's enduring quality; the box magazine!