Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weaver scope rings on a Picatinny rail?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weaver scope rings on a Picatinny rail?

Hey, I have a S&W MP 15-22. It has a Picatinny rail on it. Now I want to mount a scope on it. My question...I stopped and looked at some scope rings, and everything they had said that it was for weaver rails. They had all kinds of different styles of scope rings, but I couldn't find anything for a picatinny rail. Finally I just decided to pick up a set and try them out. They fit perfectly on the rail, but they weren't high enough off the gun, and my scope hit the rail at both ends of the scope. I purposely got the "high" scope rings, and they were made for a scope up to 50mm, mine is 40mm. Are weaver rails ok to use on a picatinny rail, or should i be looking harder to find the right kind. Otherwise, i might pick up some over under scope mounts, and maybe that will give me some extra height. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*698***8582***

pitcatinny rings for a 1" scope tube.....
Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Weaver rail or picatinny rail... They are nearly identical. The difference is in the groove width and the center to center measurements of the grooves. A weaver style ring will fit a picatinny rail but some rings that are designed specifically for picatinny rails may not fit a Weaver style base.

For mounting a scope in an AR you will have to purchase rings that are specifically designed for an AR due to the straight comb of the rifle. AR rings are much taller than the standard rings that you would use on your typical bolt gun.

Or you can purchase a riser block and use standard rings. Since you already have rings I would just go purchase a riser block and you will be good to go.

What ever you decide to do for the love of God do not get some see thru rings.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll probably just go with the riser block then.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys.