Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help cleaning the cylinder of my revolver

Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help cleaning the cylinder of my revolver

Hello all. I recently purchased a Ruger SP101. Overall I love the gun, but getting the crud off of the front of the cylinder is proving pretty tough.

The gun is stainless steel.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cleaning the front of the cylinder. I was thinking of removing the cylinder and soaking the front in Hoppes. But before doing that I want to know if that could possibly damage the metal if left in the Hoppes for too long.

I am not expecting to ever get the cylinder looking out of the box new. But I want it clean enough so that it is reliable and properly maintained.

Thanks!
~Robert
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Hoppes Tornado brush to get the lead from the cylinder and bore, then use Shooter Choice and a brass brush to scrub the front, forcing cone area, etc. It should get the accumulatoin off, but may not some steel discoloration. At least it wont look like a "closet queen". No need to pull the cylinder, and no, you wont injure it, but if you do make sure you get it all out and lubricate properly.At one time it was prescribed to leave a generous coating of Hoppes coating your barrel. Better powders, etc. make that relatively unneccessary, although for long term storage ok.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The absolute best stuff to remove the black carbon build up on a stainless revolver can be found in Walmart automotive section. It is a non-abrasive cleaner/polisher called Eagle Never Dull. It comes in a black can. A Navy friend put me onto this for my muzzleloader to polish the brass. It's what he uses to shine up his belt buckles.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Fork Horn

I think you are just using the wrong kind of cleaner. Each cleaner is designed to remove certain things. I don't know them all out there, but every Hoppes I have used is either a lead or copper solvent for removing barrel fouling. The black carbon buildup will require something else, someone recommended Never Dull, well being a former Navy man, I know that stuff works great on lots metals to polish them, and he says that it works great so maybe you should try some of that. Or find something that says it is meant to remove carbon buildup.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for those suggestions!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

..........Wish I could remember the name of it, but someone makes a special cleaning cloth just for this purpose. It seems to be impregnated with some sort of cleaner, and you simply wipe and rub the cylinder face with it, and the powder residue and leading wipe right off. I've been using it for years on the cylinders of my stainless revolvers. Works well. I sometimes see them advertised in gun mags and with the cleaning supplies in the larger catalogs.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
..........Wish I could remember the name of it, but someone makes a special cleaning cloth just for this purpose. It seems to be impregnated with some sort of cleaner, and you simply wipe and rub the cylinder face with it, and the powder residue and leading wipe right off. I've been using it for years on the cylinders of my stainless revolvers. Works well. I sometimes see them advertised in gun mags and with the cleaning supplies in the larger catalogs.
Pawildman
You're thinking of a Miracle Cloth. I use one often to clean silver and my gold ring. It's takes that black off the cylinder with very little effort.

http://miraclecloth.com/

They last for a long time. I have some new ones I bought 30 years ago. I highly recommend them.