Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Laminated or Synthetic Stock?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which Laminated or Synthetic Stock?

I have a Winchester Model 70 (Post 64) in a 30-06. It is on black synthetic stock. It shoots great - sub 1" groups at 100 yards off a bench.

I broke a piece of the stock this fall and would like to replace it. I am thinking of replacing it with a laminated stock. Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably price laminated stock? I am looking for a nice looking wood grain pattern, will hold up to weather and hard hunting, will allow a free floating barrel and my accuracy won't be compromised, and doesn't require altering (a drop in type of stock). I know, a lot to ask for!

I have seen many replacement stocks made for the Model 70 and they all say they are great (what else are they going to say). Boyd makes a good looking laminate, but I have read reviews of some not fitting right.

Any advise appreciated . . . Rob
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...811&hasJS=true

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=1025
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

I like laminates better,Richards Microfit in cali. makes an excellent stock in every color you can think of just search richards microfit and check them out.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossyoak1, thanks for the heads up on Richards! I really like their stocks and think I will probably order one.

. . . Rob
Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 Synthetic Stock
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
+ 1 Synthetic Stock
+2 Synthetic Stock
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you guys are saying you prefer synthetic over laminate? Why is that?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me it's a tool................I like indestructible & stainless.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

like Sheridan said ..it's a tool ...for hunting rough terrain [snow and rain] syntetic stock and stainless barrel ...next to no maintenance ,
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Synthetic

In your position, I would also go synthetic. Why? They are much lighter, easier to carry when you are hunting a long day with lots of walking. Both synthetic and laminates should be very stable, so that is a wash. Synthetic stocks seem to flex enough when shooting that they dampen recoil a little. I have an '06 with a Brown Precision stock that I got long ago. (I had no idea they were that expensive now!) The gun only weighs 7# with scope, sling and full magazine. Carries great, and it is just muzzle heavy enough to aim really well, despite the light weight. Would not change a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.