Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about the Tikka T3

Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about the Tikka T3

Hey everyone, I got a question about my new T3 .270wsm i bought a few weeks back.

I was think about filling the stock with spray foam, and lead shot to add a little weight to it. This should help with the recoil I believe.

If i just put it in the rear of the stock, will it make it hard to shoot with all the weight in the rear?

Has anyone ever done this? I've read a few posts on other forums where people have done it, but they never really said if it helped or etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks,
Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

More weight will help mitigate felt recoil, but I'm not sure how your approach would alter the balance.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Spike

Here's my thoughts after owning a T3 Lite for a month, and surfing the internet.

Poeple with 300 WSM's, have been known to split the stock on the T3. I wouldn't shoot from a lead sheld or add weight to the stock, as it might put more stress, into the stock.

If you reload, I would work-up some lighter loads for target and smaller game. I plan to use Remington Reduced Recoil loads in my .270 Win. I can handle the recoil, but I'm afraid of breaking my scope, while doing a lot of shooting at the range. I'll save the heaveier loads for just hunting season. If I had it to do over, I would have bought it in a .243.

My Tikka T3 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. But it's so light, that it's harder to steady while shooting off hand. A sling helps some. It's a great carry gun, when you need to do a lot of hiking. I plan to limit the number of full power loads, that I put through the rifle.

Overall, it's a great rifle. But I would recomend it to people shooting 7mm/08 or lighter calibers.

Last edited by sebastian slim; 01-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Spike

I had a 338 federal (just didn't care for the way it felt in either of the 2 stocks I had it in) and I added 50 cal lead balls mixed with epoxy to the back end and also under the barrel, It really helped with the recoil and barrel jump. I ended up putting it in a richards stock and that really helped too. A limb save recoil pad should really help out as a 1st step before you go the the "add weight" solution
Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SGT.H
Hey everyone, I got a question about my new T3 .270wsm i bought a few weeks back.

I was think about filling the stock with spray foam, and lead shot to add a little weight to it. This should help with the recoil I believe.

If i just put it in the rear of the stock, will it make it hard to shoot with all the weight in the rear?

Has anyone ever done this? I've read a few posts on other forums where people have done it, but they never really said if it helped or etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks,
Maybe a new recoil pad?

Originally Posted by sebastian slim
Here's my thoughts after owning a T3 Lite for a month, and surfing the internet.

Poeple with 300 WSM's, have been known to split the stock on the T3. I wouldn't shoot from a lead sheld or add weight to the stock, as it might put more stress, into the stock.

If you reload, I would work-up some lighter loads for target and smaller game. I plan to use Remington Reduced Recoil loads in my .270 Win. I can handle the recoil, but I'm afraid of breaking my scope, while doing a lot of shooting at the range. I'll save the heaveier loads for just hunting season. If I had it to do over, I would have bought it in a .243.

My Tikka T3 is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. But it's so light, that it's harder to steady while shooting off hand. A sling helps some. It's a great carry gun, when you need to do a lot of hiking. I plan to limit the number of full power loads, that I put through the rifle.

Overall, it's a great rifle. But I would recomend it to people shooting 7mm/08 or lighter calibers.
I'm shooting an 06 and I think its pretty light as far as recoil goes. Unless your scope is a piece of junk anyway, shooting aint going to hurt it. That's what it was built for. I don't see why you would worry about full power loads, (?) that gun will outlast its owners.

The light weight of this gun is a major plus unless you spend all day at the bench, in which case you should have gotten a target rifle.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info. Im going to pick up a limb-saver and put on before i do anything with the stock.

As far as the scope, im either going with a Leupold Mark2 or mark4. I dont think the recoil will be enough to break it, or effect it at all.

My Tikka M595 SS .308 which i bought in '99 is an absolute shooter. Sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo. I just hope the new one does the same.

Last edited by SGT.H; 01-10-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Let me save you some headaches when it comes to bases and rings. Talley, Talley, Talley.....do not pass go, do not collect $200.....Talley. Don't bother with those bulky aluminum ones that came with the gun. These are the best. Period. And since you are going to spend some do-ray-me on the scope, don't get cheap on the rings. Additionally, don't think twice that you're going to hurt that scope. You can't hurt it unless you throw in a canyon. Even then it might be questionable. These guns are sleepers and don't get near the credit they deserve.

The vertical split rings are sweet

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Here they are in action. Say hello to the tikkatalleyniko......oh yeah, that scope is a 2x7
Attached Thumbnails Question about the Tikka T3-tikkatalleyniko.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do not put lead shot or balls into spray foam. The foam has no real structure and the lead will only work is way loose from the foam and rattle around inside the foam and/or stock. If you want to lessen the recoil by adding weight you are going to have to epoxy it into the bottom of the stock or just fill the butt with epoxy.

You could also epoxy a mercury recoil reducer into the stock. They make them for butt stocks and forearms.

I have to ask why you (or any one else) would knowingly buy a rifle chambered for a magnum cartridge that weighs in at less than 6.5 pounds and then complain about the recoil. If you are going to go through all the hassle of adding weight, recoil reducers, etc... why not just buy a heavier rifle to begin with?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

I wasn't complaining. I haven't even shot it yet. I was just curious if adding a little weight would make a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.