Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs in an Improved Cylinder? shotgun

Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Spike

Default Slugs in an Improved Cylinder? shotgun

My brother just bought a winchester M-25 pump shotgun. The seller (a pawn shop) told him that the gun would shoot slugs for deer. The shotgun has an improved cylinder barrel.

Will this shotgun barrel safely shoot slugs?

thanks,

Al
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

The "Improved Cylinder" tube is a popular choice for slug shooting. ...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

First let me say that I have very little slug shooting expirence . My dad shot enough to be able to relate the this from a time when a rifled 12ga was twice as exotic as a screw in choke and those were about 1 for 10 with polychokes . With that said , rifled slugs or brenke type slugs will shoot fine even in tighter chokes . More open chokes like your imp cyl should make 3 inch groups with a fair amount of consistancy. My Dad shot 4inch 100 yard groups with a 50s vintage 30 inch bbl'd full choked Winchester mod 12 .
Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Spike

its fine to shoot slugs through the ic actually an ic andmodified are the recomended chokes to throw foster styles down
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

The improved cylinder Choke is the recomended choke to use for Shotgun slugs.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it is safe. Rifled slugs and hybrid style slugs are the way to go in a smoothbore. He'll need to do some shooting to see which brand works best. Assuming the gun has a front bead sight only, he needs to be consistent with his sight picture to get good results. If the gun has a rib on the barrel, there are screw-on sights that may help with consistency.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's fine just don't use saboted slugs. The bigger problem will be the sight setup. If there's just a bead on the barrel you're asking for bad results past 50 yds.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

Ok, excellent.

It came with a 3-9 scope on it. Not my choice for deer, but he lives in PA and shotguns are required below I-80.

I'll let him know to experiment to find the best slug.

Thanks,

Al