Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

selling a gun.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default selling a gun.

A phone call got me thinking about this. Someone called about some land we have and wanted to know if we would sell it. At the end of the phone call he asked my dad if he had any guns for sale.
My dad told him I had some but would not sale any. Good answer lol.
I tend to hold my firearms close by. I will not loan them out normaly will not even let someone know I have them unless I really know them. If i sold one I think it would be a transfer at a ffl no matter who it is. Is this your thinking. I do not like the idea of someone having a gun bought by me and as far as the FBI knows is mine. Never know who is buying that gun. It even brings me to wonder if requiring a ffl transfer on every gun sale is not a bad idea. would you sell a gun to just anyone walking by?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure IL laws are different from other states, but I think we're required to keep all gun sale records for 5 or 10years. We also have FOID cards so it's assumed if you have one of those you're not a felon so that is almost in a sense an instant background check.

If I did suspect someone was being dishonest etc...I would refuse to sell the gun.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya someone told me in indiana your required to have asales reciept both by the seller and buyer. Though not sure what happens if they do not. I could see a form that tells the ffl your good to go or anyone for that matter. Use it in place of the back ground check.
Originally Posted by salukipv1
I'm sure IL laws are different from other states, but I think we're required to keep all gun sale records for 5 or 10years. We also have FOID cards so it's assumed if you have one of those you're not a felon so that is almost in a sense an instant background check.

If I did suspect someone was being dishonest etc...I would refuse to sell the gun.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, if you spent half the time studying that you do asking questions on here then you wouldn't have failed your English paper...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would and have sold guns to people that I do not know. There is no reason for any government agency to know what guns you or I have and which ones we do not.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like someone may be staking out your home in preparation for a robbery.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hurricanespg
i would and have sold guns to people that i do not know. There is no reason for any government agency to know what guns you or i have and which ones we do not.
x2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just sold 2 rifles, one here in my town and one I have to ship to TX. The one I sold to a person here in my town I just made duplicate copies of a sale receipt showing the seller's name and the buyer's name and the serial # of the gun and it was signed by the buyer and the seller. It stated the gun was sold to the buyer by the seller and was dated. You don't need anything more than that. If that gun shows up at a crime scene I have signed proof that I sold it to the buyer on such and such date. The gun I sold to the person in TX I am shipping it to his FFL person with a copy of the same type of receipt I mentioned above. Clears me of ownership of the guns and that is all I care about.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I just sold 2 rifles, one here in my town and one I have to ship to TX. The one I sold to a person here in my town I just made duplicate copies of a sale receipt showing the seller's name and the buyer's name and the serial # of the gun and it was signed by the buyer and the seller. It stated the gun was sold to the buyer by the seller and was dated. You don't need anything more than that. .
You don't even need that. You need to worry about that kind of crap if you are a crook. If not, don't worry about it.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only guns that need to go through an FFL is handguns. It is 100% legal to sell to a private party as long as you verify that they are able to purchase a firearm. Then again it's not like you can call up the state police and do a NICS check.

I'd have to agree with the assessment that it sounds as though someone calling out of the blue is casing you out. verify the address then ask if you have any guns? Sounds fishy to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.