Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I call BULL****

Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you take tests the same way you type sentences with typos and grammar mistakes then I can see why you got an F.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Having worked with these types of unethical professors I urge you to contact a few of your classmates, determine how their papers were graded and, if there are discrepancies, (and I suspect there will be) advise the professor of your suspicions and your intent to complain about her unethical conduct. Then compose a letter with the issue, send a copy to her Department Chair, the Dean and the NRA (with them listed as a recipient). If she doesn't change the grade you've lost nothing and allowed her to see what a reallly good composition is all about. DON'T let her off the hook. They do this stuff because they can and they get away with it.

Last edited by Ol'Mongo; 12-15-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ol'Mongo
Having worked with these types of unethical professors I urge you to contact a few of your classmates, determine how their papers were graded and, if there are discrepancies, (and I suspect there will be) advise the professor of your suspicions and your intent to complain about her unethical conduct. Then compose a letter with the issue, send a copy to her Department Chair, the Dean and the NRA (with them listed as a recipient). If she doesn't change the grade you've lost nothing and allowed her to see what a reallly good composition is all about. DON'T let her off the hook. They do this stuff because they can and they get away with it.

They do this stuff because of crappy work. People always assume profs are such liberals. Well most are. So what? Most are also pretty smart and can reason. If its convincing, they will tell you. This type of work is less about content and more about format, proper use of citations, supported arguments, clearly presented facts, proper flow, grammar, etc. Forget the idea of starting a revolution with the NRA. Those people can write too.

Next time, if you really want a challenge, do a paper FOR gun control.

The argument will last for infinity.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vabyrd
They do this stuff because of crappy work. People always assume profs are such liberals. Well most are. So what? Most are also pretty smart and can reason. If its convincing, they will tell you. This type of work is less about content and more about format, proper use of citations, supported arguments, clearly presented facts, proper flow, grammar, etc. Forget the idea of starting a revolution with the NRA. Those people can write too.

Next time, if you really want a challenge, do a paper FOR gun control.

The argument will last for infinity.
I am big on "ethics" and professors are paid to teach and impart them. They should make their requirements known to the class and frankly, their personal bias should not be part of it. IF the professor reduced the grade for academic reasons, she should have been more than happy to explain, in detail. Changing your beliefs to satisfy an "educator" is not the kind of education I want my children exposed to. Colleges are supposed to be THE places where opposing views can be discussed WITHOUT having to worry about what you say. These people do this because they CAN and they get away with it because students keep their mouths shut to get a good grade. You want them to change, .... make them pay for their lack of ethics, ... or be just like them, part of the problem. Hate to tell you, but I've seen more than my share of Ward Churchills who can't even spell academic integrity.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

My reasoning for questioning the grade started with the fact that I have gotten 90% or better on 2 papers and 85% on another. I think the F was properly 50% my mistakes and 50% her opnion. She did say i made a good argument. I just had a few things she disagreed with. Though i think the fact i was stating jumped over her head. I also agree that we can not have felons with guns. As she said. The issue she disagreed with was not that you can not stop felons from having gun without stopping legal people. My argument was with restriciting and blocking legal sells only the criminals who we all know do not go through FFLs would have guns. I think I could have worked on it alittle better. Fact is alot of it is my fault. Though no one who peer reviewed my paper had a issue with any of it. Though for some reason when we do our peer review we are not allowed to bring up grammar. I see no reason to change my field of study. We can not out source building homes or building. My plan is to work for my self no one else. Sure I know enough about the field to build or design a home. I have done it before. I have designed our home here in sullivan broke it down and re designed it for the 21st century. You would never know it was built in the 20s now. I designed the home we plan to build on some property we bought. Though if i get my B.A. degree a bank, buyer and any other person will take me serious. I will know when i call the inspecter out it will be to code. My plan is to have my credit headed back up by the end of 2010.Then start my company in 2011. Round about the time i transfer to I.S.U.

As for the post. I have read 90% of the reponses I will admit i have always had a issue with spelling and grammar. Though some of the thoughts here remind me of High School. I would never tell a kid or an adult to quit college or any type of schooling. Sure some people are not meant for school some suck at it. Though there are alot of those types of people that make it through with good grades. I think alot of you gave very good infomation and thought on the issues here. Honestly I have no regrets as to making the post. I thank you for your insight on the matter and hope some of you will have learnt something from the discussion. P.S I will let you know what the Proff. says when i email here. I am going to keep it nice as I do not want to make any enemies. Honestly it is not worth it.
Also is my gammar better.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Banned

Mongo- I wasn't suggesting that he change his views. I think sometimes as a critical thinking and writing assignment, writing against what you believe is much more challenging. They do it in law school where you create the prosecute and defend the same case.

Tim-

While your enthusiasm is exceptional, it's the details that will kill you. The hardest job you'll ever have is working for yourself. Especially in that field. Nice weather during deer season, guess where you'll be? Weekends off, forget it. Self employment is EXTREMELY tough. Take that from someone who owned two businesses. The work never ends. I promise.

You might be the greatest designer that ever walked the planet. Your build skills may be beyond 99% of all that ever lifted a hammer. Unfortunaley, it gets lost in the translation. I hate to harp on you, but you HAVE to focus on the basics.

They are:
Ethics
Speaking (both group and individually)
Writing
Finance/Accounting
Mathmatics
Economics

Im telling you, if you can work these few things, the rest is cake.
Its not hard to do. Instead of taking gym class for electives, take some critical thinking classes. Take business.

Knowing how to build the perfect home means zilch if you cant manage the $ side of it.

People savy with money make more in homebuilding than those slinging hammers. Trust me.

For now I would take every opportunity I could studying grammar and sentence structure. Quit the "i aint no good with grammer" routine. Bull****. (sorry mods). Get off your ass and buy a dictionary are guide. The internet is loaded with them. Even the word program can tell you why something isnt right. No excuse.

If you ever want to be taken seriously, you have to learn to speak.

Im exhausted with this freaking thread. Listen to the advice and do it. Im done my friend, good luck to you.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Mongo- I wasn't suggesting that he change his views. I think sometimes as a critical thinking and writing assignment, writing against what you believe is much more challenging. They do it in law school where you create the prosecute and defend the same case.
I agree with you Tim, I used to do it myself learned a bunch more advocating a position I didn't agree with. Didn't much like the "Socratic method" though, .... but I use it a lot myself these days.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was figuring things today. If I do not do real good on the finial paper I just finished today I will be retaking the class. I think I will pull a fast one on her and surprise her. I have always tried to be balanced and fair. I have always thought myself a good arguer. If i retake the class I am going to do my arugment essy with a pro gun contol side of things. So the other side. Not to get a good grade cause she is a liberil more to show her I can argue the other side. He if I get a good grade for it so be it. Or I might redo the pro gun paper and show her a good argument.
I think I am 10 point or so either way of the line of pass or fail not sure yet. Lets hope i pass though. I think between this and my history class issue it has made me rethink how I am doing my work and how I need to correct it. So unless I fail both I think I will come out fo this for the better.
Originally Posted by Ol'Mongo
I agree with you Tim, I used to do it myself learned a bunch more advocating a position I didn't agree with. Didn't much like the "Socratic method" though, .... but I use it a lot myself these days.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started a business when I was still in high school. I did 150k in sales my first year. 30k in profits. I quit my 11 year and did real well. Till the company I bought jetski engines from screwed me and the credit card charging company got worried I was doing so much and cut of my ability to charge credit cards. I closed up and sold everything. Odd thing was when the IRS sent me a letter to file my taxes. I told them the company went under and had no way of knowing how much I owed them or what was a write off. They sent me a letter saying i owed them a huge 500.00 bucks. I called figuring it was 5k nope 500 bucks. My big problem was the paper work. I went from 10 sales a week to 100 in two months. Then when I hired a few people it all went south. I plan on taking a few business classes for accounting and such. Plus I will make sure I find a good smart honest accountant.
90% of the peopl on Tv that remodel or flip house screw up on the paper work spend to much and get upside down. I have learnt that mistake.

Tim-

While your enthusiasm is exceptional, it's the details that will kill you. The hardest job you'll ever have is working for yourself. Especially in that field. Nice weather during deer season, guess where you'll be? Weekends off, forget it. Self employment is EXTREMELY tough. Take that from someone who owned two businesses. The work never ends. I promise.

You might be the greatest designer that ever walked the planet. Your build skills may be beyond 99% of all that ever lifted a hammer. Unfortunaley, it gets lost in the translation. I hate to harp on you, but you HAVE to focus on the basics.

They are:
Ethics
Speaking (both group and individually)
Writing
Finance/Accounting
Mathmatics
Economics

Im telling you, if you can work these few things, the rest is cake.
Its not hard to do. Instead of taking gym class for electives, take some critical thinking classes. Take business.

Knowing how to build the perfect home means zilch if you cant manage the $ side of it.

People savy with money make more in homebuilding than those slinging hammers. Trust me.

For now I would take every opportunity I could studying grammar and sentence structure. Quit the "i aint no good with grammer" routine. Bull****. (sorry mods). Get off your ass and buy a dictionary are guide. The internet is loaded with them. Even the word program can tell you why something isnt right. No excuse.

If you ever want to be taken seriously, you have to learn to speak.

Im exhausted with this freaking thread. Listen to the advice and do it. Im done my friend, good luck to you.