Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sccy cpx1?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default sccy cpx1?

has anyone shot one of these?, i seen one at my local store for $250.00. it handled beautifully and it was double action only. it has a lifetime warranty, the dealer said he's sold several with no complaints. it looks like a kel-tec, it has either a s.s. slide or a black s.s. slide. so does anyone know about these?, thanks for any help.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Spike

Glad I came by today! I actually own a Sccy CPX-1 so I can help you out!

I picked mine up when I still worked at a small local gun shop in NC last year. Our clientele was blue-collar working men with families who liked to shoot but didn't have hundreds and thousands to spend on high-end, big-name firearms of any type. We sold a lot of Taurus, Kel-Tec and that sort of thing.

The Sccy CPX-1 is in many ways similar to a Kel-Tec. Heck the Fobus holster I have for mine IS a Kel-Tec holster. The CPX has an ambidextrous safety though, which in some ways is nice, but in some ways can complicate the issue. Some people with larger hands will find that during shooting, your thumb can nudge that safety back on leading to a "pull, pull, hey waitasecond" situation. I have smaller hands so that isn't a big problem for me, just be conscious of the location of your thumb as you grip the pistol.

The size of the pistol and the ability to carry 10 rounds of 9mm in such a small package is something I like about it, and pulling it apart for cleaning, etc is very simple.

I have been very, VERY pleasantly surprised with the accuracy and reliability of my CPX-1. I feel like I got much more than I paid for with mine. It feeds and functions well, and the only ammo I've ever had difficulty with through the gun is Wolf steel stuff, which most people back slowly away from anyway. At the average ranges of pistol target shooting, say between 10 and 25 yards, I have no problems keeping every shot in a hand-sized group.

My CPX-1 has been reliable and very accurate. I'm happy with it and I think, for the money you spend, you will be too.

Hope this helps!

Josh
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

thanks, i've heard of some horror stories from this gun. but when i looked at one i thought really well built and nicely finished, so after reading your reply i bought one. i'm waiting on ammo right now so to shoot it. the gun dealer i got it from said alot of the forums you have to be careful with on reviews of the gun. he said look at those that shot a few rounds then left, next week shot a few rounds. he said these guns are not made for or ment to be target range guns where you put hundreds of rounds each week thru. he said they will last thousands of rounds but not at once, they were'nt ment for that. he gave the example of the little j frame s&w 357, he said take it out and put hundreds of rounds each week, see how long it holds up. small guns he said wont take abuse like that no matter what brand.larger guns were ment to be range guns he said. if there is one consistant on this gun that everybody has agreed on is accuracy, everyone even the ones bashing it said it amazed them on how accurate it was. thanks again.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

thought i would update my sccy cpx-1, after buying it i put 50 rounds thru it first day not one hic up. then went and got some more ammo, put 50 rounds thru it in the last two days. still not one failure at all, shoots great groups and i'm getting better with the trigger. a couple of friends of mine have bought one as well, they shot 100 rounds each of the wwb from wal-mart these two days. wal-mart seems to be keeping ammo ok now, now if they will just carry hollow points. one ran flawless the other had one failure to fire at about the second mag., but the second pull it went off i like the second strike this pistol has. i read alot of the reviews on this gun, seems the majority of bad ones were back in the beginning, and less and less bad ones are coming up. in fact been reading alot of positive ones lately, mabe the bugs are worked out. i guess all companys start out with bad apples , and there will be bad ones in any gun from time to time down the road, as quality control in all companys isn't as good as it should be. but i'm happy with mine and guess in the end thats all that matters,talked to sccy today after i finished, very friendly talked to a guy named don nice guy. he said that they don't reccomend any steel case ammo, or remington ammo. remington he said has problems with their primers that don't work well with the cpx. i'm ok with that i'm using wwb for most shooting, but am putting some fiochie hp ammo thru it for defense practice. don said that fiochie was just fine and since cabela's has a good price on it now i'm getting it. i wished all companys would take more time to test there guns before sending them out, it seems to me it would save them money in the long run. thanks