Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got my safe got a question now.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got my safe got a question now.

I finaly got my safe. Though a cheap one. Mom and dad bought me one for xmas so it was free.
It is a sentry 10 gun safe combo lock. Cost 279 at gander on sale. Nice safe nicer then the stack on at gander. We are remodeling our house and the down stairs is on wood heat only. The wood burner is in the kitchen/dinning room and where are not using it because we have another kitchen up stairs and it is not finished yet. So nothing to work on anyways. SO i am going to move my bed and tv into it to be warm. I was planning on moving the safe in there with me. But my dad made a good point. Can the temp change from hot to cold in the room be a issue with moisture getting into or rusting the safe or my guns. It does not go from 90 to 20 but if we let it burn out cause where leaving or going to clean the wood burner out it can go from 80 to 50 or 60 rather quick. Then if it is cold it will jump up rather quickly. Should i leave it in my room which will be rather cold? And yes i will bolt this thing down it is like 129 pounds and my buddy lifted it over the side of the trailer by himself.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

they make moisture absorbing crystals..every year ya throw em in the oven and dry them back out.....good oil job is always good
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like the one ive had for years. its green , about 1.5 ft wide, and has a combo and single lever. mine is more like 200lbs though. i needed a hand truck to get it upstairs. i paid about 250$ for it at walmart.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes but it is green.
Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
sounds like the one ive had for years. its green , about 1.5 ft wide, and has a combo and single lever. mine is more like 200lbs though. i needed a hand truck to get it upstairs. i paid about 250$ for it at walmart.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

my plan is when i go to a 24 or 36 cannon or browing to sell the sentry to my dad. He said when i did he would give me what i paid for it. Which means i can get the cannon for about 500 to 700 more.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to the excellent advise given about silicon gel packs and weekly oiling, I'd move it into the room where the woodburner is. The woodburner dries the air out so that there's not as much moisture in the air. That in turn will make it harder for the guns to rust regardless of if it's 80 degrees or 60 degrees.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
In addition to the excellent advise given about silicon gel packs and weekly oiling, I'd move it into the room where the woodburner is. The woodburner dries the air out so that there's not as much moisture in the air. That in turn will make it harder for the guns to rust regardless of if it's 80 degrees or 60 degrees.
Like Stalkingbear said, it's no so much the temperature change, as much as it's the amount of humidity in the air. If a glass of icewater is set on a table and condensation forms on the outside of the glass, then there's enough humidity to worry about. Here in Florida a gun that's taken outside from an airconditioned house will form a layer of moisture on all the metal parts. The best product that I've found is "Tetra gun oil", if it works here it'll work anywhere.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple fix. Spend 30 or 40 bucks and get a Dri-Rod. Can't see having a locker without one.

http://www.drirod.com/products.html

Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

going to as soon as i get paid
Originally Posted by uncle matt
Simple fix. Spend 30 or 40 bucks and get a Dri-Rod. Can't see having a locker without one.

http://www.drirod.com/products.html