Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Target syndrome

Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Target syndrome

Not sure if thats what you call it but i got it. I know i have a flintch. I found that out when i was shooting my muzzleloader and forgot the primer. When i pulled the trigger and notice it did not fire. I was looking toward my side with my eye close.
I tend to have issues like this when target shooting. I was shooting my 22 and glock. I hit 7 out of 13 shots on 2 liter bottle at 25 yards with my glock. Same yardage same day shooting at a target i hit 2 out of 13.
Why is this. I can hit a bottle or anything 75% or better but when it comes to hitting a target i choke. heck i hit a gallon jug at 2 liter at 100 yards three times with my muzzy but have a good size group on a target why. Am i over thinking it or what.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Overthinking the target and taking too much time from an unsupported position is a sure way to miss. Flinching oughta be cured first, though.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a .22 LR and shoot targets up close. Then move the target back.

Tom
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have someone with you at the range to drop a snap cap in the chamber as you go through your shot routine; and once in a while drop in a live round without you knowing.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rid=2146251080

This will help.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

focus on trigger pull and follow through and then work on your follow through some more.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Given your other questions, I think this is a good reason NOT to buy a magnum rifle. That will only complicate it.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am 90% sure i am going to go with the 3006. 70% sure i am going to go with the remington 700.
Originally Posted by spaniel
Given your other questions, I think this is a good reason NOT to buy a magnum rifle. That will only complicate it.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is a mental game. You can shoot .22's all day long but if you start thinking about the kick when you get back to your harder kicking rifles then what's the point. You have simply got to man up and shoot the gun and put recoil out of your mind.

Hold the gun tight into your shoulder and concentrate on slowly applying pressure to the trigger until it surprises you. Make sure that the bench that you are shooting off of is the proper height. If you are having to lean over the rifle then it is far too low and the gun is recoiling straight into your collar bone instead of the pectoral muscle and is considerably more painful.

Here is my daughter shooting my 338 Remington Ultra mag and a friends Barrett 99. Now grow some nutz and quit flinching.
Attached Thumbnails Target syndrome-dress-005.jpg   Target syndrome-dress-023.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I am 90% sure i am going to go with the 3006. 70% sure i am going to go with the remington 700.
I would even think about going with a .308 or 7mm-08. Less recoil and they are both very potent calibers. A 30.06 has pretty noticeable recoil in it's own right, noticeably more than a 308 with the same loads. I have a hard time with recoil after a couple of shoulder surgeries and some neck problems. I can shoot an 30.06, but not in a light enough rifle to be comfortable to carry, and you carry a rifle a lot more than you shoot it when hunting. But with a .308 I can get a light rifle and still handle the recoil well enough to get a lot of practice with it. And by the way, a muzzleloader in 50 caliber is going to give you some pretty good recoil. If you have to try lowering the charge of powder till you get the hang of it and then work up to a full charge.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
It is a mental game. You can shoot .22's all day long but if you start thinking about the kick when you get back to your harder kicking rifles then what's the point. You have simply got to man up and shoot the gun and put recoil out of your mind.

Hold the gun tight into your shoulder and concentrate on slowly applying pressure to the trigger until it surprises you. Make sure that the bench that you are shooting off of is the proper height. If you are having to lean over the rifle then it is far too low and the gun is recoiling straight into your collar bone instead of the pectoral muscle and is considerably more painful.

Here is my daughter shooting my 338 Remington Ultra mag and a friends Barrett 99. Now grow some nutz and quit flinching.

........++++.......Flinching is largely a state of the mind thing. Sure, there is a "whump" on the shoulder with the shot, but if you are in a comfortable position with proper contol, the recoil certainly should be manageable. One of the biggest contributers to flinching, I feel, is the gun report. Get yourself a GOOD hearing protection system and use it.Religiously. One of the reasons you shoot so much better with the .22 is not necessarily it's lack of recoil, but it's mild report. Concentrate on "seeing your bullet to the target". Keep your cheek on the stock following the shot and keep looking through the scope/sights. Keep your eyes open!!!

It's a mind game thing.....Grab yourself by the seat of your pants and get over your phobia. After all, YOU are the one in control here, are you not???? If you don't get over this flinching thing, you will NEVER be a decent shot. Never.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.