Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pros and cons of the 30-06 round

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default nocon

I very much like the posts that note that there is no "con" about the .30-06. Very true.
None of the alternate ideas and calibers mentioned are really marks against the .30-06. They are only different suggestions. There are more powerful calibers. So what. Pick one if you need one. The .308 may be more efficient with lighter bullets. Great for the .308 Win. It doesn't diminish the utility of the .30-06 one bit.
Recoil - very subjective as one can see from the posts above. For every person who finds the recoil objectionable under a given circumstance, another will tell about how their 12 year old shoots it just fine. Recoil is something one gets used to in any case.
Pete
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Spike

I have to agree, there are lots of other cartridges to chose from, but there are no cons for the old .30-06. It is as simple as that.

I have used dozens of different cartridges over the last 42 years I have been big game hunting and I am a great fan of a number of them, including less potent rounds than the '06 and some that pack a lot more punch. But after all this time it is still one of my favorite cartridges for 95% of the hunting I am going to do.

I have shot a lot of game over the years with one......from pronghorn to moose and grizzly. The .30-06 was absent from my gunroom for a number of years but just this past month I found a beautiful old Husqvarna Crown Grade in .30-06 and I bought it. I sold my trusty old .300 mag. I have no regrets and as I get older I find I am slowly going back to just a handful of trusted cartridges that get the job done.

When I quit traveling to distant place to hunt it may well be that the .30-06 will be the only rifle left in my gunrack.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Cons?

I don't really think there are reasonable cons to the '06, unless you are talking about too much gun or recoil for light game. I guess it depends on what you are after. I know I've got an exceptional '06, but I've had low # Springfields and post '64 M 70s that I would not load up (Spr.) or would not take the loads (M 70) that I can shoot with my M-8000 Husqvarna and its 1 in 12 twist barrel. I can shoot 165 Barnes boat tail X bullets at 3000 even. Other than big bears, I feel I can use this gun for everything I could possibly hunt. It would probably kill grizzly too, but not a gun to stop one if it came to that. (I will never have the $ to hunt griz, so it is really a mute point.) Yes, it recoils a bit, but not too bad, and my gun only weighs 7# with scope, sling, and loaded magazine, with its Brown fiberglass stock. My 14 yr. old was very excited when I said that it would be his some day. Don't know what gun I would rather have. Groups very well too. Now if you are talking about factory loads that may be used in old low # Springfields and have to be safe to shoot in pumps and autoloaders, then the '06 does not have much on the .308, which I also have and think quite highly of. But loaded to its potential in a strong gun, the '06 has a bit more of an advantage than most are willing to admit. If I was really a ballistics freak, I would probably have mine rechambered for '06 Ackley Improved, but really, what would an extra 100 or so fps get me?

Last edited by JOE PA; 12-13-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

cons: too common, nothing unique about using it.

pros: WIDE range and availability of ammo
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe to heavy for varmints and maybe a bit light for the big bears, but fantastic for anything in between.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Maine Shooter
cons: too common, nothing unique about using it.

pros: WIDE range and availability of ammo
The way I look at it is this, Too common??? Really? Since when did how many people using anything effect preforming a clean kill on a animal? I understand wanting to be different, but is that really a con?

On another note, The 06 is about as good of a all around round you could ask for IMO. Decent ballistics, Your normal run of the mill hunter can really only shoot out to about 300 yards and Hit the intended target properly the 06 does that well. Also its got enough knock down power to take pretty much anything in NA. But depending on where I am ill still carry a 45, just incase....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a 30-06 on and off for the last thirty-five years and here is my take on it.

Pros-a lot a bullet and factory loads for the 30-06. Easy to find ammo no matter where you are.

When I have shot a WT with a 30-06, it usually goes down where I shot it. Can't say that with my 300 WBY, 30-30, or 243.

It is accurate out to the maximum range most of us shoot (or should shoot).

You can find a semi-auto, pump, bolt action, lever action, or SS in the 30-06, depending on your preference.

Cons- can't think of any. I guess it isn't as glamorous as a magnum.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

did not expect to hear so few people have a issue with it. I figured some would but dang seem 95% love or atleast like the round.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Pros: all the rifle you'll ever need for deer or just about anything else. Effective range (MPBR) is as far as I and most others have any reasonable business shooting at a critter. Ammo is available, and reasonably priced (unlike that magnum stuff for suckers).

Cons: if you make me choose, I'll say it's loud, and it recoils more than I like (at least the one I had, did). One could say it's more rifle than you need for deer, but that's no reason not to get one.

I've owned/hunted with a 30-06, a .270, Mosin 7.62x54, shotgun (buckshot) and muzzleloader, and most recently a 30-30 for last four years. I have to say, I like the 30-30 best. I wish I'd kept the .270; the 30-06 was stolen.

30-06 is a great cartridge. Things I like better about the 30-30 are that it's pretty, mild on the shoulder and ears, and deadly on deer to further than I'm likely to shoot. That said... if I get another deer rifle, it'll be another .270 or 30-06.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Pro - Great old round for just about anything in NA...

Con - More gun than you need for deer, and I prefer a short action over a long action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.