Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless barrel performance

Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Stainless = Stains' less
That's great! LOL.

Tom
Old 12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
I can tell you the Stainless Steel (Exterior) of a rifle barrel can easily be cleaned with #000 Steel Wool and Light Gun Oil. There are many that believe that Stainless Steel cannot rust when in fact it can and oxidation is also common on the surface area of Stainless Steel Firearms.Most Stainless Steel rifle barrels are "Bead Blasted" with tiny particles of abrasive to make them non-light-reflecting as part of the manufacturing process and this surface is deeper than most realize. Certainly if you don't take proper measures on anything it will not last as long.
Crumpled up aluminum foil and white vinegar also makes an excellent rust remover. Has to do with the reduction potential of aluminum being greater than the oxidation potential of iron.

But yes, if neglected badly and/or exposed to extremely corrosion inducing environments, the type of stainless steel used to make firearms can and will rust. It takes longer than blued chromoly steel, but it will happen eventually. A small amount of Breakfree CLP or like will eliminate this problem completely.

Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

A week in the inclement weather on an extended hunt without oil won't phase a stainless barrel, just clean it when you get it. Do that with a blued barrel, you'd better pack some oil with you or you'll be cleaning off some amount of rust.

If you go into the profiles of the immature posters there is an "ignore" function so you don't have to put up with them. If people didn't reply with quotes in this thread I wouldn't even see them.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had the SS chains on my climber rust(*gulp*) but ive never had any SS rifle or ML rust at all and I hunt in wet weather alot. I also only clean my rifles once a year after hunting season, somtimes way after. SS also resists scratching, and if youve ever gotten blood on a blued gun you know it eats right through if you dont wipe it off quick. aside from looks I just dont see why anyone would want to mess w/ blued& walnut guns. SS/laminate is the way to go IMO.