Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

can a rifle be good for both elk and deer

Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
good advice LOl
when the time comes for the elf hunt buy a 300 wm or something in that area.
Man some of you guys hunt exotic game!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

In your original post you mentioned money was an issue for getting out on an elk hunt so I would go with a 30-06. A 3006 will reliably kill elk to 500 yards at 7,000+ ft elevation with the right ammo.

06 ammo is 35% less in cost than the magnums and that gets you more trigger time to develop shooting skills which is more important than outright power 99% of the time.

More different ammo is available than any other big game cartridge so will have tons of choices so your chance of finding a load that shoot well in your rifle are increased also.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gun Guy
Less mention of a specific projectile,zero,means of range determination,optics employed and a host of other pertinent factors,I do find it curious that you cite 500yds and an elevation in conjunction.

More poor ammo is available in '06,than any other.
Na I'll just wait for them to kick you off the forum again and erase all your babble.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gun Guy
I find it curious,that you infer load particulars,range particulars,optic particulars and all particulars as "babble".

Curiously enough,the astute would take issue with same and note that you are rather hesitant to quantify any of your very misguided statements,with anything in either the literal or figurative sense.

Just what are YOUR 500yd and 7000' parameters,as applied to Elk in general and the '06 in particular?
i am curious as to why you seem to fancy the word curious

edit: bugger, they got him

Last edited by skiking; 12-09-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Money is always a issue but to a less degree that i ant going to let it keep me from getting the right rifle. Sure i ant going to go out and buy a 2k bolt action hunting rifle but i can see 500 to 700 or so for the gun then another 2 or maybe 300 for the scope. I would like a great shooting gun that will do me good for both for 1k is doable
Originally Posted by Scott Gags
In your original post you mentioned money was an issue for getting out on an elk hunt so I would go with a 30-06. A 3006 will reliably kill elk to 500 yards at 7,000+ ft elevation with the right ammo.

06 ammo is 35% less in cost than the magnums and that gets you more trigger time to develop shooting skills which is more important than outright power 99% of the time.

More different ammo is available than any other big game cartridge so will have tons of choices so your chance of finding a load that shoot well in your rifle are increased also.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Caliber isn't really an issue when it comes down to the price of the rifle, but it does play a part in ammunition. For 1k you can get set up with a 270 Win, 7mm mag, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag. I would stay away from short mags if you don't reload, as they can be significantly more expensive to shoot. If you haven't shot much it would be wise to stat away from the magnums to help make sure you don't develop a flinch, as a well placed shot trumps magnumitis.

You would be better off spending 5-800 on a rifle and 2-500 on a scope and shoot a bunch than you would if you dropped 2x that much money on the gun and only shot 20-30 rounds per year.

If elk are in your plans I recommend getting something with a good quality synthetic stock, not the cheap plastic handles found on many rifles today(meaning buy a rifle with a cheap stock and put a Bell & Carlson medalist or H-S Precision on it or just get something with a sturdy stock). Savages and a Remington 700 SPS are good but stocks are probably flimsy(can't speak for the Savage) or Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA which has a good stock. Elk hunting takes place in unforgiving environments, and while a wood stock looks much better, they tend to warp and swell when they get wet, no sense in buying a pretty rifle if it loses zero middle of a hunt and you can't make the 1 shot you are presented with. A stainless rifle is nice but not necessary, the advantage that I have found with stainless is on a multiple day hunt in wet weather, you don't have to break it down at night to dry it off to keep rust at bay, just put some electricians tape over the muzzle to keep the bore dry and worry about drying it off and getting rid of any rust after the hunt which would be minimal.

Also, stay away from scopes with too high a magnification. Nothing worse than seeing a big bull at 30 yds and having too much magnification. A 2-7x40 or 3-9x40 Nikon,Burris, or Leupold will do everything you need and last you many years. A 50 mm objective gathers more light, but adds weight and can make proper scope/eye alignment difficult.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats properly the most informative post i have seen. Thanks alot. I am leaning toward the remington 700. In the 30-06 caliber. My plan is to reload but with buying the rifle and paying for my ky hunt in 2010 it might wait till xmas or spring of 2011.
Though i will be reloading so i will keep my brass for sure. I already have a flintch issue with my muzzy. Need to work on that.
Originally Posted by skiking
Caliber isn't really an issue when it comes down to the price of the rifle, but it does play a part in ammunition. For 1k you can get set up with a 270 Win, 7mm mag, 30-06, or 300 Win Mag. I would stay away from short mags if you don't reload, as they can be significantly more expensive to shoot. If you haven't shot much it would be wise to stat away from the magnums to help make sure you don't develop a flinch, as a well placed shot trumps magnumitis.

You would be better off spending 5-800 on a rifle and 2-500 on a scope and shoot a bunch than you would if you dropped 2x that much money on the gun and only shot 20-30 rounds per year.

If elk are in your plans I recommend getting something with a good quality synthetic stock, not the cheap plastic handles found on many rifles today(meaning buy a rifle with a cheap stock and put a Bell & Carlson medalist or H-S Precision on it or just get something with a sturdy stock). Savages and a Remington 700 SPS are good but stocks are probably flimsy(can't speak for the Savage) or Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA which has a good stock. Elk hunting takes place in unforgiving environments, and while a wood stock looks much better, they tend to warp and swell when they get wet, no sense in buying a pretty rifle if it loses zero middle of a hunt and you can't make the 1 shot you are presented with. A stainless rifle is nice but not necessary, the advantage that I have found with stainless is on a multiple day hunt in wet weather, you don't have to break it down at night to dry it off to keep rust at bay, just put some electricians tape over the muzzle to keep the bore dry and worry about drying it off and getting rid of any rust after the hunt which would be minimal.

Also, stay away from scopes with too high a magnification. Nothing worse than seeing a big bull at 30 yds and having too much magnification. A 2-7x40 or 3-9x40 Nikon,Burris, or Leupold will do everything you need and last you many years. A 50 mm objective gathers more light, but adds weight and can make proper scope/eye alignment difficult.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Open Range
How much harder is a Elk to kill over a deer? Can my '06 be good there?
Elk are much tougher than deer, the bones are much heavier, the skin is fairly thick and your bullet needs to penetrate further. That being said an '06 will work fine for elk(I killed one with a 30-30 but won't ever try it again), and if you hit them good will die quickly, but wound one and it will disappear forever.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Open Range
Where is the best place to shoot one? I might try Elk some day. Thank you.
Changing your ways??? Quantity Colorado. Quality AZ or NM!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

double lung 'em

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.