Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle and caliber for a ky hunt

Old 12-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default rifle and caliber for a ky hunt

I am really thinking about a KY hunt next season. Thinking about DIYing it where i hunted when i lived there. Cheap hotels and a few year round camp grounds so cheap lodging. I know some about the area so it will not be a total new area. PLus i need a reason to get a high power rifle.
Not sure what rifle and caliber i want to go with.
Thinking a Remington 700 in a 7mm,300, or the simple but good 30-06 a Ar platform 308. It's a Ar15 for i need to say more.
Besides those two i am at a total loss. Maybe a weatherbe but i know nothing about them. So what would your recommend.
I need it for hunting. I would like to get some long range target shooting in with it say 200 or even 400 yards if do able. Ammo availability would be a good thing. Plus a easy load to reload. Of course accuracy is a must. As for budget not sure yet say somewhere around 1k or less. Figure that should be do able by august and be ready to go come deer season in nov.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The belted mags ain't the easiest to reload...-06s and -08s sure are though (my 25-06 has been the smoothest CF rifle I've sized). 'Bout any 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, or 30 cal rifle's gonna do the trick on deer juuuuust fine. Mix it up in a rem 700, ruger 77, win 70, wby vanguard, savage, etc...you'll be just fine
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You hinted about an AR, you mentioned .308 and AR15 at the same time. The .308 is on the AR10 platform which is much larger than the AR15, they're not interchangeable. I'm a big fan of building your own AR if that's what you want, and if you want to hunt with one do it. There are a lot of options for the ar15 platform, like the 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or even the .25WSSM. If you build it yourself you can definately do it for under 1k, my 18 year old son just built one for about $800.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ya i know i tend to do that. There are alot of calibers out there for the ARs. I know a guy whos buddy is a gunsmith and said he would build me a 308 Ar for 1100 bucks with the quad rail
Originally Posted by Centaur 1
You hinted about an AR, you mentioned .308 and AR15 at the same time. The .308 is on the AR10 platform which is much larger than the AR15, they're not interchangeable. I'm a big fan of building your own AR if that's what you want, and if you want to hunt with one do it. There are a lot of options for the ar15 platform, like the 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or even the .25WSSM. If you build it yourself you can definately do it for under 1k, my 18 year old son just built one for about $800.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your mind is made up. If you're going to hunt kentucky and you're not a resident I can tell you that its $130 for the standard hunting licence and another $60 for the deer tags. You also need a hunters ed card issued by your state. Good luck and hope all goes well.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Spike

I personally use a Rem 700 BDL in a 30-06. that rifle and my trusty 336 Marlin have taken all my deer over the last25 years You have many options out there so choose whatever your comfortable with.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

My mind is not made up i am leaning toward the Ar15 or a 700 in 7mm or 30-06. I think i forgot something. I need the 130 general liceanse and the deer tags don't I. I knew there was a catch in there somewhere. But i think it is still worth it. Makes me want to make sure i do good scouting this summer when i go down there for a fishing trip.
Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
Sounds like your mind is made up. If you're going to hunt kentucky and you're not a resident I can tell you that its $130 for the standard hunting licence and another $60 for the deer tags. You also need a hunters ed card issued by your state. Good luck and hope all goes well.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Spike

This past November prior to Kentucky's modern firearm season i bought a new Stevens. The rifle was a .270 and was a model 200. It comes as a pakcage with a scope. It is bolt action blued barrel and synthetic stock costing me around 319 dollars with tax. The gun shoots amazingly accurate and for the money you cant beat it. i downed my buck in his tracks with it at 100 yards. Just thought if you didnt wanna invest too much you might wanna look at that one as it is availible in many calibers.