Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka Optilock Scope Mounts

Old 06-03-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Tikka Optilock Scope Mounts

Does anyone out there use the Optilock scope mounts on their Tikka Whitetail hunter? I haven' t been able to find them in my local store. On my Sako the rear base has a metal pin at the back that fits into a groove on the Sako rifle. A drawing of the Tikka base on their website makes me think that the Tikka bases have the same feature. I don' t recall seeing that same groove on the rifle however, but I' m not sure and don' t want to make the trek back to the gun store just to check since I have to order the bases online anyway.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tikka Optilock Scope Mounts

My Tikka Whitetale has the place for the pin at the back of the front mount.
I have Warne rings and they are solid as a rock.(They have the re-coil pin) Easier to find and cheaper than Tikka' s.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the update. I ordered the Tikka mounts online but was still curious. I' m the kind of anal-retentive personality that' ll worry that I ordered the wrong thing the entire time I' m waiting for it to arrive. I went with the Tikka' s since I was happy with the same type of mount for my Sako, aside from the cost.

Couldn' t pass up this chance to pick up a whitetail hunter, even though I don' t really " need" it. I' ve heard that they' re being phased out, and had heard so many good things about them that I just had to go for it.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:43 PM

Yes, the Tikka rings do have a recoil pin install in the front base. You can' t go wrong with the Tikka rings. One trick to installing the synthetic insert is to place the insert in your hand and form a tight fist for one minute. This allows the insert to warm up, reducing the chance of breaking it when you slip it on the scope.

Yes, the Tikka rings do have a recoil pin install in the front base. You can' t go wrong with the Tikka rings. One trick to installing the synthetic insert is to place the insert in your hand and form a tight fist for one minute. This allows the insert to warm up, reducing the chance of breaking it when you slip it on the scope.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought and mounted the Tikka rings (not Optilocks) on my Whitetail hunter and they are really great. Have the recoil pin for the front too ( I was wondering what that grove on the top of the receiver was for!). They have ridges inside the ring and square locking dowels where the ring pieces meet. Seems to be very solid and only about $40 (same price as the Warne' s I believe).