Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Loose Bolt?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Loose Bolt?

Any Savage owners out there?
I just received my Savage 10GLXP3 in 308Win. Its a great looking gun and I'm very glad so far that I purchased it. I did alot of research on Savages and their reputation was the reason I purchased one. Yeah I know... the scope & rings are medium at best, but until next hunting season roles around, they are what I have. But my question is: Without a round in the chamber, after the trigger has been pulled and the firing pin, fired, is the bolt supposed to loosen up in the action? WHen the bolt is cycled, everything is locked up tight and there is no "wiggle" allowed in the bolt, but after its fired, the bolt seems to loosen up just a bit and there is a bit on up and down play allowed in the handle. Normal?

Thanks
Alex G
Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never really noticed, but I'm going to lean towards "normal." My savage has lots of easy up and down play with the bolt handle. Only at the top of the bolt stroke does it c.ock for the next shot. You aren't comparing it with the safety all the way on, and all the way off-- are you?

Last edited by Big Z; 12-02-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Big Z, no the safety position doesnt come into play. But I did get a responce back on another forun saying that it was normal. The floating bolt head has a bit to do with it, firing pin spring and the bolt design itself.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a Savage model 16 that did the same thing.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, let's see... **goes to get the Savage out**

My 111 does it too. I'm going to say that it's normal. It's probably because when the striker is ****ed, there is spring tension between the striker spring and bolt that makes it feel tight and smooth. When the striker is released, that tension goes away, allowing the bolt to move more freely between fully closed and where it starts to rec-ock the striker.

Big Z,

Actually, the striker is c-ocked in about the first 50-60 degrees of bolt travel. What you feel in the last 20 degrees or so is the lugs camming out of battery. This is true with most 90 degree bolts. My rifle is sitting on my lap right now. You can see the c-ocking action happening if you watch the sear extension/bolt release lever on the right rear of the receiver move as you open the bolt. When the lever is down, the sear is down and the striker is not ****ed. When the bolt is lifted you can feel the tension from the striker spring and watch the lever come up as the sear rises behind the striker's c-ocking piece.

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default yes

Savage normal...........