Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do so many hate the 30-06?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever wonder how many "magnums" are sold to deer hunters who may, at best, be able to find the resources to hunt elk once or twice in a lifetime, let alone find enough spare coin to put a Kodiak hunt together?

Someone else said that the .30-06 is "jack of all trades, master of none". I think that pretty much nails it. If you have a .30-06, you have everything well in hand from deer on up through elk to moose. Yup, it might be a bit light for comfort on a charging grizzly (most often seen by hunters in movies and magazines), and it's on the heavy side for prairie dogs and coyotes.

If you own a .30-06 though, there's little need for anything larger on this continent. If anything, you'll want to fill out your battery with something smaller, like a .204 or .223. Guys will go into a gunshop yet and buy a .300-something-magnum and think they have the whole world covered, when in reality, they're not really any better off in the end than they'd have been with the simple, reliable, plain-jane, un-sexy, .30-06.

Otherwise, the singular prospect of having one rifle is very unappealing to many of us, regardless of the .30-06's many pros and few cons. Maybe that's why some folks don't like it - it takes away the excuse to go tell their significant other, "it's too (big)(little) and I need another rifle"?

Whatever. I own two .30-06s, as well as a .300-something-magnum, and two other calibers in three different rifles that do the same things the .30-06s will do. I have bigger rifles than .30 caliber. I like rifles. I like to have choices. But I certainly do not hate the .30-06. If I had to start my battery all over again, I'd keep just the .223, .243, .30-06, and .375. That way, I'd always have at least two rifles for every game or non-game species I wanted to pursue.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
When I was 15 years old I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. That rifle has served me well for the last 33 years. I think that it's funny when people say that they've graduated from their 30-06 to some super magnum, I just graduated this year from mine to a Marlin 336SS in 30-30.
i think alot of those super mag shooters are only graduating from somthing they couldnt shoot well to something they shoot worse. honestly 90% of the rifles out there arent built right to take advantage of those mags and theres even a fewer amount of people that can actualy shoot the ones that are built right.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who says they Hate an 06 ? probably a fool, I have taken just about every game except an elephant with .06 caliber.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
Ever wonder how many "magnums" are sold to deer hunters who may, at best, be able to find the resources to hunt elk once or twice in a lifetime, let alone find enough spare coin to put a Kodiak hunt together?

Someone else said that the .30-06 is "jack of all trades, master of none". I think that pretty much nails it. If you have a .30-06, you have everything well in hand from deer on up through elk to moose. Yup, it might be a bit light for comfort on a charging grizzly (most often seen by hunters in movies and magazines), and it's on the heavy side for prairie dogs and coyotes.

If you own a .30-06 though, there's little need for anything larger on this continent. If anything, you'll want to fill out your battery with something smaller, like a .204 or .223. Guys will go into a gunshop yet and buy a .300-something-magnum and think they have the whole world covered, when in reality, they're not really any better off in the end than they'd have been with the simple, reliable, plain-jane, un-sexy, .30-06.

Otherwise, the singular prospect of having one rifle is very unappealing to many of us, regardless of the .30-06's many pros and few cons. Maybe that's why some folks don't like it - it takes away the excuse to go tell their significant other, "it's too (big)(little) and I need another rifle"?

Whatever. I own two .30-06s, as well as a .300-something-magnum, and two other calibers in three different rifles that do the same things the .30-06s will do. I have bigger rifles than .30 caliber. I like rifles. I like to have choices. But I certainly do not hate the .30-06. If I had to start my battery all over again, I'd keep just the .223, .243, .30-06, and .375. That way, I'd always have at least two rifles for every game or non-game species I wanted to pursue.

Well said.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Best selling cartridge in the USA !

What is your real question ?

BTW - I don't own one..................but ?!?!
That is the REAL question. So many times on this site, people will ask about "best cartridge" so on and so on. Invariably, the 30-06 gets poo-pooed. It's my baby, just seeing the consensus. Clearly the haters are not as prevalent as once thought.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think when people answer the "best cartridge" question the reason they invariably leave out the 30-06 is because the 30-06 really isn't best at any one specific thing. For instance the 25-06 would be a better antelope cartridge. Or the 338 Win mag a better elk and moose cartridge. Or the 375H&H a better grizzly bear cartridge. Although the 30-06 will certainly get the job done in any of these circumstances.

IMO, the 30-06 ranks as the absolute "best" one cartridge to do everything cartridge.

That is why I bought my son a 30-06. It will do everything he will likely ever ask of it to do. If he needs (wants) a larger or smaller cartridge aimed at specific sized animals that he may hunt in the future I figure he can buy it himself if he can afford an elk, moose, sheep, what ever hunt. If a person is to have only one rifle it should be chambered in 30-06. Nothing else will fill the one rifle hunter as well as a rifle chambered in 30-06.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I think when people answer the "best cartridge" question the reason they invariably leave out the 30-06 is because the 30-06 really isn't best at any one specific thing. For instance the 25-06 would be a better antelope cartridge. Or the 338 Win mag a better elk and moose cartridge. Or the 375H&H a better grizzly bear cartridge. Although the 30-06 will certainly get the job done in any of these circumstances.

IMO, the 30-06 ranks as the absolute "best" one cartridge to do everything cartridge.

That is why I bought my son a 30-06. It will do everything he will likely ever ask of it to do. If he needs (wants) a larger or smaller cartridge aimed at specific sized animals that he may hunt in the future I figure he can buy it himself if he can afford an elk, moose, sheep, what ever hunt. If a person is to have only one rifle it should be chambered in 30-06. Nothing else will fill the one rifle hunter as well as a rifle chambered in 30-06.
Amen to that! It's kinda right in the middle. Never really thought about it that way....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Never hated the .30-06...........

My first .30-06 was bought at Sears & Roebuck in 1953.........It was a Husqvarna Mauser made for Sears......My father paid $99.99 for it!

Like some have mentioned, over the years I have had many different calibers in rifles........I used the .270 for many years also and then bought a Ruger 6.5mmSwede and now a 7mm-08......

Also have 7mm Mag, .243 and .30-30's.........
Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one, love it, and have killed more deer with it than any other caliber.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool I think people are just bored with it.

That would be my guess. Hard to talk up the new short mags, or short cartridges like the 7mm/08 or 308 without saying the '06 doesn't do this, or kicks too much or something. I love mine, and unless I hunt griz or brown bear (highly unlikely), I can do the rest of my hunting with it. Mine is a Husqvarna M-8000 with a Brown fiberglass stock. Weighs 7# loaded and with a 2x7 Leupold. That 1 in 12 twist must help it, cause I can feed it loads that gave some of my other '06s fits. I can get 3100+ with 150s and my favorite all round load is a 165 gr. boat tail Barnes X-bullet that it shoots at 3000 with no pressure signs. What else do I need other than a smaller gun for coyotes or something like that?

Had to shoot mine in after failing in Archery season this year. First 3 shots, centered 2" high and a 3/4" group. What's to hate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.