Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun for my girl

Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Gun for my girl

Hey guys im needing some help as you know christmas is coming around the corner and im wanting to get my fiancee a gun im looking at that rossi single shot 7mm 08 whats yalls opinions
Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like ya jus need help with a scope since ya got the gun ya want..i got my daughter a rossi 223 a few years ago with a scope from academy sports fer a couple hundred bucks and has never misfired or had a problem.i put an ol' bsa deer hunter on it 6-18X50 or sumthin like that and it is great, put the scope from the rossi on the Henry 22 so she could practice.she knocked one down thursday mornin and she is still stoked...
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Never shot a Rossi rifle but I don't like their pistols.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Thatguymitchel
Hey guys im needing some help as you know christmas is coming around the corner and im wanting to get my fiancee a gun im looking at that rossi single shot 7mm 08 whats yalls opinions
If your shopping for a new girl friend then go ahead.

I'm not particularly fond of the rossi single shots and in a 7mm-08 it will kick her quite abit unless she is use to shooting alot. They don't have much of a recoil pad and are fairly straight stocked. JMO
I would suggest a H&R Handi rifle over a Rossi again my opinion.
But if you really want a special single shot buy her a Ruger #1 they are great. Yes alot more money as well.

Last edited by RugerMike; 11-30-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Update information
Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

just sounded like he was on a budget..get er a Henry then lol..i never owned a H&R but all i hear is good things about them fer the $$$
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Why not get her one like you shoot?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not get her a bolt action or semi auto? Something she wont want to replace in a few years when she outgrows a single shot? I just don't understand why everyone wants to get their kid or fiancee or whomever they may be getting a gun for a single shot for their first gun. It seems like quite often a few years later you see them wanting to sell it as they have upgraded. Why not just get them something they wont want to upgrade to start with.

I'm just not a fan of single shots and I don't see wasting money on one when chances are they will want to upgrade later anyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the money, get a Stevens 200. http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

Accurate, and long-lasting bolt gun. No need to upgrade this rifle, it'll do the trick for many years.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Why not get her a bolt action or semi auto? Something she wont want to replace in a few years when she outgrows a single shot? I just don't understand why everyone wants to get their kid or fiancee or whomever they may be getting a gun for a single shot for their first gun. It seems like quite often a few years later you see them wanting to sell it as they have upgraded. Why not just get them something they wont want to upgrade to start with.

I'm just not a fan of single shots and I don't see wasting money on one when chances are they will want to upgrade later anyway.
Amen to that. It always seems that fellas like to give their kid or wife the gun that requires more skill to be successful with. We need $600 scopes and 30-06's, but spouses only need a $50 job and a 243. I actually caught myself doing that with my wife, then decided to let her start with reduced power ammo on my gun until she is comfortable shooting, them to full power loads. If she likes it, then she can pick what she wants.

But hats off to your gal for wanting to hunt, few do. Its good to do everything not to discourage her.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
For the money, get a Stevens 200. http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

Accurate, and long-lasting bolt gun. No need to upgrade this rifle, it'll do the trick for many years.
Exactly. This or the Marlin XL7 or the Savage package with the Accu Trigger one they sell at WalMart would be my choices if I wanted a great gun for cheap. I'd probably prefer the Savage with the accu trigger but if I didn't care about that I'd just get the Stevens 200 since it's basically the same as a Savage 10 without the accu trigger.

The next post is also how I feel about it.

If I was going to buy someone a single shot rifle it would be a muzzle loader. That way they can at least hunt longer and they would still be able to hunt during rifle season with it. I still think one of the others would be better though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.