Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scratches on my rifle. Please HELP

Old 11-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Spike

Default scratches on my rifle. Please HELP

i was recently trying to unscrew a stubborn screw on my rifle and my screwdriver slipped and made an awefull scratch down the side of my rifle....it has a matte coating and the scratch is bright silver, anyway to cover this up??? It also scratched the plastic cover that closes over where the shells eject out, (its a remington 7600) Is there anyway to replace this as well?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yet another informative post by relentless.

Snipe, get you a bluing pen and you can cold blue the scratch. It won't be the same matte finish but it will darken the scratch and make it much less noticeable.

As far as the dust cover goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will get worn enough by simply using the rifle.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might tape 'er off and use some cold blue as BB suggested.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

always put a drop of oil on the screw head . it helps from ripping up the slot on the screw head. use something like electrical tape to put around a potential area that a screw driver might slip down. i would tape the fine line of the scratch and fill with what matchs best. blueing or paint. maybe pick up a bottle of perma fin.

Last edited by liquidorange; 11-21-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice form the others.But just for S&G .Make up a good story about when you were getting ready to drop the hammer on that shot of a lifetime and just so happen to drag the gun on a screw on your tree stand and put the battle scar there.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Good tools are necessary when working on guns. I often wondered what the special attraction was to gun smithing tools and now it makes sense. Every scratch has a story though. Good luck removing it but I can tell you that you will get used to it.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Yet another informative post by relentless.

Snipe, get you a bluing pen and you can cold blue the scratch. It won't be the same matte finish but it will darken the scratch and make it much less noticeable.

As far as the dust cover goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will get worn enough by simply using the rifle.
I hear you BB, looks like he isn't taken his banning well at all, already back under the username of Jesus Trip.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Next it'll be a complaint,that someone got blood on their knife.

Just kidding,noone here could get something on the ground........................
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Whattya gals do,when you chip a finger nail or your mascara runs in the rain?

Just curious..................
Old 11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

ooooaaa i rememeber like it was yesterday. i had my new browning .270 abolt left hand medalion in hand. that was 20 years ago. anyway. i was bear hunting and we were all in a suburban. this older guy next to me, a lawyer, then became a mayor of a smaller town kept banging his pos rifle up against mine. i kept sharing my thoughts of this to him and he just looked proplexed at my dismay. well after 10 times, and said HEY DUDE get your DAMN gun off mine its scrarching the ---- out of it. i thought he would soil his panties. he watched his gun after that, but 20 years later i still have a bunch of scratches on it. so yea they all have stories, wish mine was from climbing a 300 foot rock wall going after a sheep. no, but i did climb up a lawyers ---.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.